Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 30 Beta Finally Supports GStreamer 1.0

Phoronix: Firefox 30 Beta Finally Supports GStreamer 1.0

Following the Firefox 29.0 release, Firefox 30.0 is now in Mozilla's beta channel. One of the changes for Linux users with this next major web-browser update is finally support for the GStreamer 1.0 API...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hopefully they also get some import html5 input types done like the date one https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/.../Element/Input . Even Androids mobile browser supports it..........

Comment

good

native notifications is something that broke in linux mozilla products a looooooooooong time ago and noone seems to care to fix.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        good\n\n native notifications is something that broke in linux mozilla products a looooooooooong time ago and noone seems to care to fix.
        What did Firefox use them for? How old is this? I don't remember them.

Since you're the only one that seems to care, maybe you should get coding, it is open source after all
        Last edited by chinoto; 30 April 2014, 01:08 PM. Reason: I want the emoticon, not text.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
          good

native notifications is something that broke in linux mozilla products a looooooooooong time ago and noone seems to care to fix.
          I think this extension comes quite relevant and handy for what you are concerned about. I don't understand why Firefox notifications are related to this article though. Not even the full changes list linked at the article's ending says a thing about notifications.

Comment

Originally posted by IsacDaavid View Post
            I think this extension comes quite relevant and handy for what you are concerned about.
            I love that extension. The only longstanding issue I have with Firefox is something I can't really blame them for- xulrunner's theme compatibility. They are able to focus much more on integrating it with OS X and Windows since it's easier to replicate the variety of themes convincingly. On Linux, they're still on GTK 2 and don't convincingly support the features of third party GTK engines. It's not terrible, but it could be a bit better, and I hope the in-progress port to GTK 3 will improve matters.

They do a good enough job of managing aspects like the transition to Gstreamer 1.0 because technical improvements tend to be 'oh, that's nice', rather than 'they finally fixed it' like the visual side of things.
            Last edited by scionicspectre; 30 April 2014, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Isn't having gstreamer 0.10 and 1.0 be the most optimal? Once 0.10 is gone from Debian stable they could just delete the code and be done with it.
              Anyway this is the time when distro maintainers will show their face. And we'll see who treats their user base better.

Comment

Debian Stable? Really? Let them use an old version.

Comment

Now if only mainline Phonon supported it...

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    Now if only mainline Phonon supported it...
                    It is in a git branch that will hopefully be merged soon. Trusty ships it, and it looks like the next openSUSE is planning on using it too.

Comment

Working...
                    X