Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Developers Propose Wayland For Fedora 21

Phoronix: Red Hat Developers Propose Wayland For Fedora 21

After being an optional, experimental feature in Fedora 20, Wayland with GNOME 3.14 might be getting ready to take on the default Fedora 21 desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is great news. Gnome is on the right track.

Comment

what is missing for nvidia to support wayland? i remember people often claimed lack of EGL is the reason, but i think they shipped that with last driver.

is there something else that's missing?

Comment

Yes... I've been waiting for wayland to hit the distros.

I will switch to linux when I know I will have a tear free environment. :-D

Comment

Where's the monkey suit?

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
            Yes... I've been waiting for wayland to hit the distros.

I will switch to linux when I know I will have a tear free environment. :-D
            This might help.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
              what is missing for nvidia to support wayland? i remember people often claimed lack of EGL is the reason, but i think they shipped that with last driver.

It lacks a KMS driver. But only if they go open source
              You can use Noveau's

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post

They either need to add support for the EGL DRM extension, or they need to write a wayland backend which supports their driver. The 2nd is most likely the direction they'll go, and it's similar to what they're already doing for X.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  They either need to add support for the EGL DRM extension, or they need to write a wayland backend which supports their driver. The 2nd is most likely the direction they'll go, and it's similar to what they're already doing for X.
                  yea. that would make sense for them to do.

Originally posted by rxonda View Post
                  It lacks a KMS driver. But only if they go open source
                  You can use Noveau's
                  sadly, nouveau is far from being ready. if i pick machine for OSS drivers it will be best supported amd graphic card at that time without question, but if i need 3d (gaming or coding) i go with nvidia and blob. if you need gl4+ now there is simply no other choice than proprietary, but by the time i'll be remotely finished mesa will most surely already support it

afaik, as far as KMS goes wayland doesn't depend on it, just compositors and those can easily be written without KMS. off course, weston or mutter are out of question then, though i only care aboiut enlightenment anyway (also kms, sigh)

Comment

This is great news, and fits well with the release delay they planned on doing anyway.

As far as the blob drivers go, they are not a target for Fedora, so how far along they are when it comes to supporting Wayland is probably of very little importance to them.

Comment

Working...
                    X