Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wayland or xwayland?

wayland or xwayland?

how something like wayland will be usable without apps? without drivers? only intel for intel users and amd apu users? i?m only asking. i?m curious

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
      how something like wayland will be usable without apps? without drivers? only intel for intel users and amd apu users? i?m only asking. i?m curious
      Wayland works properly on all the major free software KMS supporting drivers (radeon, intel, nouveau), and Fedora only provides support for the free software drivers in their distribution.

Fedora does not make decisions based upon what binary blob drivers currently support.

As for legacy X11 applications, they will use xwayland as was explained in the article.

Comment

hm

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
        Wayland works properly on all the major free software KMS supporting drivers (radeon, intel, nouveau), and Fedora only provides support for the free software drivers in their distribution.

Fedora does not make decisions based upon what binary blob drivers currently support.

As for legacy X11 applications, they will use xwayland as was explained in the article.
        xwayland is not wayland but ok, nvidia users can?t use fedora then

Comment

xwayland is not wayland but ok, nvidia users can?t use fedora then
          Yes they will, but they either will need to use nouveau or a desktop environment which is still using X11.

Comment

lol

Yes they will, but they either will need to use nouveau or a desktop environment which is still using X11.
            ofc but i?m talking about wayland. nouveau is not good for new video cards and laptop to much heat

Comment

ofc but i?m talking about wayland. nouveau is not good for new video cards and laptop to much heat
              NVIDIA is working on drivers that will support Wayland and XWayland. It's not even a secret anymore. Read it on the Xorg ML.

Comment

Or just enable x11 mode on their existing DE. It is not like the DEs are dropping X11 support anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                  Or just enable x11 mode on their existing DE. It is not like the DEs are dropping X11 support anytime soon.
                  Sooner than you think. As soon as a major DE goes all wayland and the driver/hardware support is there people will switch in droves. Shit will go wayland at lightspeed.
                  Will probably happen with KDE5

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
                    Sooner than you think. As soon as a major DE goes all wayland and the driver/hardware support is there people will switch in droves. Shit will go wayland at lightspeed.
                    Will probably happen with KDE5
                    *sigh* First, there will never be a KDE 5. There is KDE frameworks 5, the first release of which will probably support wayland for applications, but the first plasma workspaces 2 release will not support wayland. It will support wayland at some point, but it will continue to support x11 for the forseeable future. KDE frameworks 5 most likely continue to support X11 at least for the lifetime of Qt 5, so probably at least 7 more years and probably longer, and applications that don't rely on wayland-specific stuff (which will be most of them) will automatically suport X11 as long as the frameworks they use support it. So no, I don't see KDE frameworks or plasma workspaces abandoning X11 soon.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                      *sigh* First, there will never be a KDE 5. There is KDE frameworks 5, the first release of which will probably support wayland for applications, but the first plasma workspaces 2 release will not support wayland. It will support wayland at some point, but it will continue to support x11 for the forseeable future. KDE frameworks 5 most likely continue to support X11 at least for the lifetime of Qt 5, so probably at least 7 more years and probably longer, and applications that don't rely on wayland-specific stuff (which will be most of them) will automatically suport X11 as long as the frameworks they use support it. So no, I don't see KDE frameworks or plasma workspaces abandoning X11 soon.
                      lol

That whole quote just screams to be started with "I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as KDE5, is in fact, KDE Frameworks 5/Plasma Desktop 2, or as I've recently taken to calling it, KDE Frameworks 5 plus Plasma Desktop 2 ..."

Comment

Working...
                      X