Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Shows Off Beema & Mullins But Its Linux Fate Is Unclear

Phoronix: AMD Shows Off Beema & Mullins But Its Linux Fate Is Unclear

AMD has now revealed their newest APUs, codenamed "Beema" and "Mullins" while their Linux fate remains unclear...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'd be really interested in the actual features of these little chips and what exactly all this PSP (the built in ARM "platform security processor") is about. Is it against the user? Is it for the user?
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

It's for DRM, against users I would say.

Why this depressive tone in article. "Linux support uncertain, in doubt", FUD for short. It is practically enhanced and tweaked Jaguar platform so I don't see the reason for this tone. Kabini and Temash work great under Linux and when they got released there were also this doom and gloom stuff for no reason.

Comment

It's to put pressure on AMD of course. If they don't send hw to the only Linux site, Linux users won't know if it works or not.

Comment

There is no beema/mullins pciids at least in opensource graphics stack , so i guess that does not work today .

Comment

Originally posted by lima View Post
            Why this depressive tone in article. "Linux support uncertain, in doubt", FUD for short. It is practically enhanced and tweaked Jaguar platform so I don't see the reason for this tone. Kabini and Temash work great under Linux and when they got released there were also this doom and gloom stuff for no reason.
            I agree. It's not like it's a radically different architecture than existing things. It's either one of two things (or maybe both actually): Michael is just spreading AMD FUD as usual, or after years of writing about this kind of stuff he knows nothing.

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            There is no beema/mullins pciids at least in opensource graphics stack , so i guess that does not work today .
            Well they were just launched today, even when there's 0-day support for it on Windows they usually go through a couple driver releases before it's really supported well...

Comment

Stupidest article ever.

"Until then, we have no idea how these new AMD APUs will work for low-power environments outside of Android."
              .... here's a little bit of interesting information.... ANDROID ***IS*** LINUX.

Unless you're referring to wondoze or bsd, then ANDROID performance is directly indicative of pretty much everything.

Also, who the hell cares? It really is about time that AMD started supporting Android. I want more power, but not at the cost of being stuck with intel/powervr bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                Stupidest article ever.

"Until then, we have no idea how these new AMD APUs will work for low-power environments outside of Android."
                .... here's a little bit of interesting information.... ANDROID ***IS*** LINUX.

Unless you're referring to wondoze or bsd, then ANDROID performance is directly indicative of pretty much everything.

Also, who the hell cares? It really is about time that AMD started supporting Android. I want more power, but not at the cost of being stuck with intel/powervr bullshit.
                Good catch, can't believe I missed that. Or maybe I just stopped reading after I couldn't take any more FUD, not sure.

Yeah, I'm not particularly thrilled with the current crap Android has to deal with, plus it's pretty much all proprietary too (Nvidia, PowerVR (mostly), Mali, Adreno, etc.), hopefully AMD can spearhead some good open-source support.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                  I'd be really interested in the actual features of these little chips and what exactly all this PSP (the built in ARM "platform security processor") is about. Is it against the user? Is it for the user?
                  http://genode.org/documentation/articles/trustzone via osnews.com

In short, it can be used for good...or EVEEEEL.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                    http://genode.org/documentation/articles/trustzone via osnews.com

In short, it can be used for good...or EVEEEEL.
                    Oh, thanks for this interesting link.
                    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                    X