Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

S-Video to Component Isn't Outputting YPbPr/YUV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S-Video to Component Isn't Outputting YPbPr/YUV?

I have a Radeon HD 2400 and it has a S-Video port. I also have a S-Video to Component cable.

When hooking the cable up as-is to a TV, there is a blue tint over the entire screen (this is present also in BIOS, GRUB, boot, desktop, and games). Unplugging and switching certain cable combinations either gives a grayscale image, or flickering color mess (in other words, it doesn't help).

Hooking just the blue cable up to the yellow composite connector however (and switching TV input to composite) gives a proper color image.

I don't know what is happening exactly, but perhaps Linux isn't sending a YPbPr down the cable, and is only sending all colors down one cable? Anyone know a way to fix this?

Wikipedia says S-Video does not send component video by default, only in some non-standard editions. Further, the radeon driver only exposes NTSC, SECAM, and various PAL options for the TV-out encoding, so even if your hw had the non-standard S-video with component support, it seems the sw doesn't support using it.

Comment

Further inspection shows it's partially there, the scaler setup for it is incomplete. Check your xrandr properties, it might work without the scaler.

Comment

The open source driver does not support component tv-out. It only supports svideo.

Comment

Working...
        X