Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 112

Thread: Firefox 29.0 For Linux Is Now Available For Download

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,435

    Default Firefox 29.0 For Linux Is Now Available For Download

    Phoronix: Firefox 29.0 For Linux Is Now Available For Download

    While we're still waiting on the official release announcement, Mozilla Firefox 29.0 is now available for download...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY3NDc

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    434

    Default

    Let the butt-hurt commence!

    (But in all seriousness, I expect to see a shit-ton of complaints for the next month or two... long enough for people to realize the UI change didn't screw them over...)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,164

    Default

    Things I am missing from Firefox:
    • Wayland support
    • GTK+ 3 support
    • Input type support for the 'date' and 'datetime' data types
    • Syntax highlighting for JavaScript, JSON and CSS files
    • Line numbering for JavaScript, JSON and CSS files

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Things I am missing from Firefox:
    • Wayland support
    • GTK+ 3 support
    • Input type support for the 'date' and 'datetime' data types
    • Syntax highlighting for JavaScript, JSON and CSS files
    • Line numbering for JavaScript, JSON and CSS files
    id especially like to see the first 2.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Downloading Fire... *new version available*
    Damn it. Ok, fine.
    Downloading Fi... *new version available*
    Wait, what?
    Downlo... *new version available*
    God, sigh.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    425

    Default

    And they still haven't fixed the pretty huge bug that Firefox doesn't honor directory permission when downloading files.

    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=961080

    It's been broken since at least FF24...

  7. #7

    Default

    This is completely subjective but release 29 feels faster to me than 28 did. Perhaps it's the new user interface?

    Looking at resolved bugs tagged with release 29 might be useful for figuring out all the changes here:
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist...e=Firefox%2029

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paintbynumbers View Post
    This is completely subjective but release 29 feels faster to me than 28 did. Perhaps it's the new user interface?

    Looking at resolved bugs tagged with release 29 might be useful for figuring out all the changes here:
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist...e=Firefox%2029
    The theme on windows uses no transparency or a different kind of transparency which uses less gpu resources. So maybe it is that? Also the new theme has more animations.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Things I am missing from Firefox:
    • Wayland support
    • GTK+ 3 support
    • Input type support for the 'date' and 'datetime' data types
    • Syntax highlighting for JavaScript, JSON and CSS files
    • Line numbering for JavaScript, JSON and CSS files
    Last two are already there in the developer tools (at least in Nightly).

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    Let the butt-hurt commence!

    (But in all seriousness, I expect to see a shit-ton of complaints for the next month or two... long enough for people to realize the UI change didn't screw them over...)
    I won't be complaining since I knew about the "Classic Theme Restorer (Customize Australis)" extension before Australis even landed in Aurora.

    For the most part, Australis just formalizes Chrome-like tweaks I'd already had for years via add-ons and XUL Userstyles. However, I need the extension to restore the add-on bar (Ctrl+/ for the win) and the bring back the real (not a popup toolbar for touchscreens) menu with a built-in keyboard shortcut reference.

    (The whole point of the WIMP (Windows, Icons, Menus, Pointer) GUI paradigm is to make things discoverable. Any HCI (Human-Computer Interaction, a superset of UI/UX design) textbook will tell you that. By making it harder to discover keyboard shortcuts, Firefox's toolbar-style menu is objectively worse at its core purpose.)
    Last edited by ssokolow; 04-28-2014 at 05:47 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •