Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Can Now Boot With Systemd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jumu View Post
    Anyone knows a benchmark which shows/proofs which is fastet etc? The only boot benchs i have seen are old and betwen ubuntu and fedora and ubuntu won with upstart. Is there any more recent benchmarks?
    I have a typical Debian Testing machine, that used default sysV, with typical daemons: networkmanager, cups, gdm, cron, aumix, udev, klogd and so on.
    Nothing fancy like Apache etc.
    After enabling systemd migration package, I noticeably experienced at least 1/3 increase in startup speed and far far less garbage, ahem, info on the screen.

That said, because systemd works with socket activation, it is much more logical, self-organizing/paralleling init.
    The only point against it is virtually "learning something new" thing. ...and BSD-too buzz (what? on servers?), if you are affected by it.
    Last edited by brosis; 30 April 2014, 03:57 PM.

Comment

As far as NetworkManager and systemd, have you filed a bug against either in launchpad? I searched both, but couldn't find any.

That may be a good place to start, or open a thread on the ubuntu forums (but the forums may not be helpful if no devs see it, so Ubuntu or systemd on IRC might be a better option, and you can document the solution in the forums or the bug you opened, assuming you opened one).

I would try to help you myself, but I don't have Ubuntu installed on any of my machines at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
        That said, because systemd works with socket activation, it is much more logical, self-organizing/paralleling init.
        The only point against it is virtually "learning something new" thing. ...and BSD-too buzz (what? on servers?), if you are affected by it.
        why don't you try learning something new like what an init system does, then insulting people that actually took the time to do so
        just sayin

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
          why don't you try learning something new like what an init system does, then insulting people that actually took the time to do so
          just sayin
          Earth is so overcrowded, that stepping on someone's butt is one the daily schedule.
          Its not me placing that butt there, on the road of expression of a personal opinion.

So, if it hurts, its your butt, your placement, your problem. If I would be a tolerast, I won't be even able to walk.

Comment

Not sure if it really counts as a bug

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
            As far as NetworkManager and systemd, have you filed a bug against either in launchpad? I searched both, but couldn't find any.

That may be a good place to start, or open a thread on the ubuntu forums (but the forums may not be helpful if no devs see it, so Ubuntu or systemd on IRC might be a better option, and you can document the solution in the forums or the bug you opened, assuming you opened one).

I would try to help you myself, but I don't have Ubuntu installed on any of my machines at the moment.
            Although systemd is available in Ubuntu's repos, it is experimental and there primarily so Ubuntu devs can find out what packages need modification to work with it. You can bet they will encounter the NetworkManager issue quickly. My own system is forked quite a ways from default Ubuntu, even more so now that I have also migrated to dracut and systemd in the initramfs. I just spend a whole week porting both Debian's version of Plymouth (which supports Dracut but is quite diferent than Ubuntu's version) and my special unlocker for multi encrypted disks to Ubuntu with dracut and systemd starting right after the kernel is loaded. Those all work, and I've got NetworkManager staring in /etc/rc.local for now. Next on the agenda for me is to fix the Plymouth bug that forces me to kill and respawn it at the pivot-root to keep it from hanging, followed by using systemd instead of a dracut hook to start my single passphrase call multi-disk unlocker.

Doing all this mostly so I could get my own packages ported over in advance instead of just sweating about systemd obsoleting my previous work and forcing a do-over of unknown dificulty at an unknown time. I do have one suggestion for others though: it might be easier to port some things to systemd in advance by starting with a Fedora 20/rawhide install so you start with systemd, dracut, and plymouth working right by default. I didn't have the bandwidth to download an installer for this from home.

Comment

This is development time wasted.

Last edited by Ladgurie; 17 May 2014, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X