No announcement yet.

Installing latest Open Source ATI drivers under Ubuntu 8.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depends which driver you are talking about.

On radeon the 3d support is fully integrated and co-exists with 2d / video acceleration. On radeonhd the same acceleration code is available in the quick & dirty 2d accel branch which should get merged to master pretty soon (maybe today).

I haven't looked at the wiki today but I wouldn't be surprised if 3d is still flagged as "experimental" because of the 2d/3d co-existence issue, but that will go away as soon as the q&d accel branch is merged.

I think you're talking about radeonhd from the quote, so if you download and build again as soon as the q&d accel branch gets merged the restrictions should go away.

Note that you also need pretty current mesa (7.1RC3 or higher) and drm code to get full 3d accel on a 5xx, and unrelated changes in mesa also require a new X server in order to keep AIGLX working.

The good news is that the combination should run pretty nicely, and EXA 2D performance seems to be real good in conjuction with the glyph cache improvements in a 1.5-ish X server.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      On radeonhd the same acceleration code is available in the quick & dirty 2d accel branch which should get merged to master pretty soon (maybe today).
      I love you guys

Can you already say when the HDMI-Audio/CS/atombios_support-branches will get merged? And what exactly does the atombios_support-branch do anyway? Is it a rewrite of existing functions using AtomBIOS, does it include anything new using AtomBIOS or is it just code to make RadeonHD capable of using AtomBIOS at all?

Comment

Still under discussion but we should be able to say more in a week or so.
        Test signature

Comment

The radeonhd driver in the xorg-edgers package archive got an update today, with major changes. From what I can see the quick_and_dirty_2d branch was merged into master. If you want to test it with the live CD script, edit the script to install the radeonhd package, or just install it afterwards and log in and out to restart X.

Comment

Originally posted by tormod View Post
            The radeonhd driver in the xorg-edgers package archive got an update today, with major changes. From what I can see the quick_and_dirty_2d branch was merged into master. If you want to test it with the live CD script, edit the script to install the radeonhd package, or just install it afterwards and log in and out to restart X.
            Hi tormod,

you seem to have success building the latest RadeonHD code. Do you why it doesn't work for me and "bugmenot" - was there any new dependencies needed?

>>> http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=13

Comment

I forget the details but the new code picks up drm headers from a different place (probably the drm tree) than before. There was also an issue reported overnight where if you build without DRI you get an error -- building with DRI gets around that for now.

If you follow d2kx's link you end up here, where there is info on getting around the build issues. Basically requires bringing down more packages because radeonhd now has a build dependency on drm if building with dri enabled :

http://radeonhd.org/index.php?page=a...08-7-26#result

The nice thing is that radeonhd now picks up full EXA render and textured video and you no longer have to choose between 2d/video and 3d acceleration. If you run EXA with a new X server you should also see a decent 2d performance boost.
              Last edited by bridgman; 26 July 2008, 11:49 AM.
              Test signature

Comment

I've followed the steps but when i execute glxinfo i only have this message:

jesus@tux-CT:~$ glxinfo
                name of display: :0.0
                Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual or fbconfig

EDITED
                Ok, solved but i can't use kde4 effects.....so backing to fglrx...
                Last edited by Fenix-TX; 27 July 2008, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                  Hi tormod,

you seem to have success building the latest RadeonHD code. Do you why it doesn't work for me and "bugmenot" - was there any new dependencies needed?
                  There are no secrets I document all changes to the original Debian packaging in the changelogs, which you can browse on the PPA page.

Comment

Originally posted by benitoa View Post
                    libGL error: dlopen /usr/lib/dri/r200_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/r200_dri.so: undefined symbol: _glapi_tls_Context)
                    libGL error: unable to load driver: r200_dri.so[/B]
                    Hi,
                    i'm fixed this by removing /usr/lib/xorg/libGL.so.1.2 and making symlink to /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2 instead. dpkg -S dont know anything about /usr/lib/xorg/libGL.so.1.2 so think it's just trash file. May be part of fglrx or old mesa(i'm using 7.10 updated to 8.04). Hope this can help.

Comment

• Originally posted by cobold View Post
                      Hi,
                      i'm fixed this by removing /usr/lib/xorg/libGL.so.1.2 and making symlink to /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2 instead. dpkg -S dont know anything about /usr/lib/xorg/libGL.so.1.2 so think it's just trash file. May be part of fglrx or old mesa(i'm using 7.10 updated to 8.04). Hope this can help.
                      I also had a diversion that stuck around from the old fglrx, so the new libs weren't being read. Try doing "dpkg-divert --list" in a terminal and look for any libGL that shouldn't be there. Also, try using "sudo updatedb" followed by "locate libGL" to list all the versions. If one looks to be wrong, you can use "dpkg -S <file name>" to determine which package it's a part of. Then uninstall that package and reinstall tormod's versions.

hth

Comment

Working...
                      X