Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's P-State Driver Is Getting Better Tuned For Performance

Phoronix: Intel's P-State Driver Is Getting Better Tuned For Performance

The Intel P-State driver that's found in modern versions of the Linux kernel as a replacement to the older CPUfreq code is getting tuned for better performance while boasting greater power-savings...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does anyone know if also the first gen Core i5's will be supported, e.g. my i5-750? I can't find any information whatsoever on it..

Comment

hm!

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
      Does anyone know if also the first gen Core i5's will be supported, e.g. my i5-750? I can't find any information whatsoever on it..
      you only need to check if its working or not if you are using ubuntu use this command in terminal "cpufreq-info"

Comment

Saving the world, one gram of carbon at a time. 0.35% is nice, but here's hoping for 3.5%.

Comment

You would think Intel would throw more resources behind this type of code to make sure energy and performance was as good as it could get.

Comment

I don't know if this has to do with the articles subject, but I found it strange that when compiling on my kubuntu install it easily took 2 times longer to compile various software compared to OSX on the same machine. I saw that the CPU never clocked to its max state. Lowering a threshold somewhere(don't remember exactly) in proc/sysfs remedied this.

Comment

Nice to see there is still some efford to make the CPU more power efficient. But what about the Package state issues? My Haswell i7 w/o discrete gpu still won't enter PC7 when idle resulting in approx twice as much power drain compared to my old SNB i7.

Comment

Originally posted by uwgandalf View Post
                when compiling on my kubuntu install it easily took 2 times longer to compile
                Ubuntu disables P-State driver by default in their kernel.

Comment

Are there software ways to measure power usage on a non-Windows OS?

Comment

Yes! sysfs provides access to Battery properties such as discharge current.

Comment

Working...
                    X