No announcement yet.

ASRock AM1H-ITX: One Of The Best AM1 Mini-ITX Motherboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But installing ahci driver in Windows, no problem until checked out IDE mode in bios... then Windows also does not boot anymore .

So hmmm... how to make linux works without touched ahci ? I installed Debian already with IDE setted in bios, but linux seems like does not care what i set in bios, tried building kernel without ahci but that also does not boot... so what driver i'll need there to use instead of ahci? .

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      Tried Windows 7 and guess what - it is linux only problem, in Windows OC just works . And performance is much better then on linux OC or not, fps in games doubled and half maybe then in linux with opensource drivers Eh, did not tried Windows for a long time .

Actually i just don't install AMD's ahci driver, maybe there will be problem then .

Catalyst is FUBAR as LINUX goes, i only use OSS drivers now with AMD APUs in LINUX.
      My frame rates with OSS drivers in LINUX are actually quite good if you set everything right...ETQW with LINUX OSS drivers HIGHER frame rates and much SMOOTHER than W7 with Catalyst

What is max BCLK that you can go with W7 w/o VGA/SATA problems ? 132 ?...or do you still have some limitations because your RAM is 1600MHz ?

What Linux distro were you trying ?
      Try a different one...try SLACKWARE if you dare
      Last edited by AJSB; 02 May 2014, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
        Catalyst is FUBAR as LINUX goes, i only use OSS drivers now with AMD APUs in LINUX.
        My frame rates with OSS drivers in LINUX are actually quite good if you set everything right...ETQW with LINUX OSS drivers HIGHER frame rates and much SMOOTHER than W7 with Catalyst

What is max BCLK that you can go with W7 w/o VGA/SATA problems ? 132 ?...or do you still have some limitations because your RAM is 1600MHz ?

What Linux distro were you trying ?
        Try a different one...try SLACKWARE if you dare
        Yep i also use radeon driver of course on linux for years, but as i checked we are just somewhere...hmm let say @40% performance of Catalyst for Windows .

Debian Sid mostly, i am not a distrohopper . And nope i don't mind to spend much time with Windows, just to checked out this issue ... so on Windows people can just sets IDE in bios and they are ready to go with overclocking .

I runned there CPU @2500Mhz and RAM @1900, that is i know working good in linux also for me (of course for now if i not use sata disks because of ahci issue ). There is great Asus utility for Windows for checking everything about OC, performance, all sensors working what to say i liked that ... in linux all that is non working or wrong even from console, but i also liked it .

Comment

DEBIAN ?!?

This is not a "DistroHopper" issue....is the issue of how far we can go with LINUX and AM1 OC...you were nominated our Guinea Pig....errrr...i meant....our brave Beta Tester, so go for it !

Try XUBUNTU 14.04 LTS....easy to install and performance will be much better because is much more "on the edge"...in special if you then simply compile 3.15rcX Kernel (don't worry with mesa-dev, XUBUNTU stock mesa-10.1 will do just fine and save you a lot of work and possible trouble).

The ISO is not that big and after you test a bit from USB Pen, you can try install it to see what it happens....and everything goes well, compile them the Kernel

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            But installing ahci driver in Windows, no problem until checked out IDE mode in bios... then Windows also does not boot anymore .

So hmmm... how to make linux works without touched ahci ? I installed Debian already with IDE setted in bios, but linux seems like does not care what i set in bios, tried building kernel without ahci but that also does not boot... so what driver i'll need there to use instead of ahci? .
            I might be completely wrong but IIRC...
            AFAIK, it's at installation process of W7 that you have option to load the driver...to be honest i never used AHCI in any OS...wait...i indeed did once....IIRC, i got DATA loss and gone back to IDE.

Comment

DEBIAN ?!?

This is not a "DistroHopper" issue....is the issue of how far we can go with LINUX and AM1 OC...you were nominated our Guinea Pig....errrr...i meant....our brave Beta Tester, so go for it !

Try XUBUNTU 14.04 LTS....easy to install and performance will be much better because is much more "on the edge"...in special if you then simply compile 3.15rcX Kernel (don't worry with mesa-dev, XUBUNTU stock mesa-10.1 will do just fine and save you a lot of work and possible trouble).

The ISO is not that big and after you test a bit from USB Pen, you can try install it to see what it happens....and everything goes well, compile them the Kernel
              Heh i use self compiled 3.15-rc3 now on Debian, and i was tried lubuntu 14.04... it has the same problem .

I might be completely wrong but IIRC...
              AFAIK, it's at installation process of W7 that you have option to load the driver...to be honest i never used AHCI in any OS...wait...i indeed did once....IIRC, i got DATA loss and gone back to IDE.
              So how do you avoid using ahci drivers on linux ?

On Windows after installed ahci drivers, catalyst installer (i think they called it like that) opens up browser and informs me happily that i now have installed complete stack .
              Last edited by dungeon; 02 May 2014, 06:17 PM.

Comment

With IDE setted in bios, and then IDE must be setted maybe somewhere at beginning of the installation process, i tried installing with bclk @106 lubuntu, debian and windows. Lubuntu and debian does not see SATA anymore, but Windows see it .

Comment

DEBIAN ?!?

Ah i overlook what you say there , i am not using Debian Stable, but Debian Unstable(Sid) ... Debian Unstable is more on the edge then Ubuntu 14.04 .

Of course i can compile anything but that will not solve automagicaly ahci issue , do you know what is needed to be disabled/enabled in kernel config and/or maybe in installation process to avoid using ahci? Kernel with disabled ahci or just module blacklisted or bclk @106, those any make kernel does not see the SATA drive anymore .

Comment

is the issue of how far we can go with LINUX and AM1 OC...
                    On Asus AM1M-A and Athlon 5350, max stable blck is 124 with max 21.0 multiplier that is 2604 MHz stable max . Max stable is the same for Windows and Linux, it is max for the board and processor (of course i we do this for the ahci/sata issue on linux ).

I can use that but with 1653MHz for the memory, ora beter for me i can use 121x21=2541MHz max because of the memory 1936MHz. But i use slightly lower 119x21=2500 and 1904MHz for the memory that is good for me .

So maybe Athlon 5350 is just slighly worse overclocker in percentage then Athlon 5150 . But all in all, i can say max of the max (without nitro ) on this board is 124x21=2604MHz and 2000MHz for the memory .
                    Last edited by dungeon; 02 May 2014, 11:14 PM.

Comment

But as i say at begining rock stable overclock stays @2205 MHz and it is no more than that . Seems like everyone can do that and not loose anything from stability (just slightly more power usage) .

Beyond that we must say ahci and its (dis)advantage is loosened on both Windows and Linux So is it really worth to go at max 2600MHz just for another +15% speed advantage i don't think so .

Comment

Working...
                      X