Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 14.10 Is Now Open For Development

Phoronix: Ubuntu 14.10 Is Now Open For Development

Now that Mark Shuttleworth has announced Ubuntu 14.10 as the Utopic Unicorn, the next version of Ubuntu Linux is officially under development...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

will be looking at this release very closely, i wanna see how much they can get of unity8 desktop done in this release.

Edit: also i wish they went rolling release for this, have the LTS's and rollling betwen them, i think this would help since we all know stuff is gonna be broken when unity 8 comes to desktop (at least im expecting that since its new tech)
    Last edited by TheSoulz; 26 April 2014, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Great article!

Finally an article with a image, so its not just a big load of text.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Finally an article with a image, so its not just a big load of text.
        But... it's ugly.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
          will be looking at this release very closely, i wanna see how much they can get of unity8 desktop done in this release.

Edit: also i wish they went rolling release for this, have the LTS's and rollling betwen them, i think this would help since we all know stuff is gonna be broken when unity 8 comes to desktop (at least im expecting that since its new tech)
          I don't think well see Unity 8 on Mir by default on 14.10. As far as I know they haven't even started working on the desktop shell. It's not a trivial thing and a lot more complex than some smartphone interface where you only toggle between fullscreen surfaces basically. They already hinted that it might be delayed to 15.04

Comment

i agree

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
            I don't think well see Unity 8 on Mir by default on 14.10. As far as I know they haven't even started working on the desktop shell. It's not a trivial thing and a lot more complex than some smartphone interface where you only toggle between fullscreen surfaces basically. They already hinted that it might be delayed to 15.04
            i agree unity 8 right now is only for phones/tablet but maybe they launch a garbage distro very unstable and slow like 12.10

Comment

By then Windows 8.2 will probably be ready.

Comment

I know I sound like a broken record but I really can not for the life of me see Canonical's mobile play. If a company like MS couldn't break into the market with the resources and marketing available to them, how will a company like Canonical?

People say, "Ohh, Ubuntu will target the low-end cheap crappy phone market!" Well, that doesn't exactly engender bragging rights for the OS, does it? Will developers be eager to write apps to target this low-end crappy phone market? And besides, we already have a free mobile OS for low-end crappy phones: it's called Android and it comes with the Google Play market. And we already have a "convergent" OS: it's called Windows 8. And it was universally scorned and hated (at least the "convergent" part was). And convergence is more about cloud solutions than the UI look. And Canonical is closing all of that infrastructure down.

Don't get me wrong, I don't see any issue with making an OS run on mobile devices. I think that's pretty cool. But to make it the fore-running goal of the software with no legitimate hope of success just comes off as a mix of vainglory and chasing the rainbow that is Apple's magical Steve Jobs cult.

Canonical says they want developers to make apps for their platform. They can not be bothered to fix the catastrophic, asteroid-into-the-earth-level bugs that affect their own OS and they want us to write apps for their platform?

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  They can not be bothered to fix the catastrophic, asteroid-into-the-earth-level bugs that affect their own OS and they want us to write apps for their platform?
                  And which are those? Last time I checked Ubuntu absolutely dominated Linux desktop deployments in institutions and companies (where they use Linux), and in the cloud server market they are becoming bigger and bigger, and it is the largest Linux distribution out there, obviously they are doing something right and all those users dont seem to notice those show stopping bugs you talk about. Exaggeration much?

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    But to make it the fore-running goal of the software with no legitimate hope of success just comes off as a mix of vainglory and chasing the rainbow that is Apple's magical Steve Jobs cult.
                    You a psychic or something?

Comment

Working...
                    X