Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: Ubuntu 14.10 Is Now Open For Development

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,631

    Default Ubuntu 14.10 Is Now Open For Development

    Phoronix: Ubuntu 14.10 Is Now Open For Development

    Now that Mark Shuttleworth has announced Ubuntu 14.10 as the Utopic Unicorn, the next version of Ubuntu Linux is officially under development...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY3MzI

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    102

    Default

    will be looking at this release very closely, i wanna see how much they can get of unity8 desktop done in this release.

    Edit: also i wish they went rolling release for this, have the LTS's and rollling betwen them, i think this would help since we all know stuff is gonna be broken when unity 8 comes to desktop (at least im expecting that since its new tech)
    Last edited by TheSoulz; 04-26-2014 at 01:17 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,027

    Default Great article!

    Finally an article with a image, so its not just a big load of text.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Finally an article with a image, so its not just a big load of text.
    But... it's ugly.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    742

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSoulz View Post
    will be looking at this release very closely, i wanna see how much they can get of unity8 desktop done in this release.

    Edit: also i wish they went rolling release for this, have the LTS's and rollling betwen them, i think this would help since we all know stuff is gonna be broken when unity 8 comes to desktop (at least im expecting that since its new tech)
    I don't think well see Unity 8 on Mir by default on 14.10. As far as I know they haven't even started working on the desktop shell. It's not a trivial thing and a lot more complex than some smartphone interface where you only toggle between fullscreen surfaces basically. They already hinted that it might be delayed to 15.04

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Porto
    Posts
    191

    Default i agree

    Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    I don't think well see Unity 8 on Mir by default on 14.10. As far as I know they haven't even started working on the desktop shell. It's not a trivial thing and a lot more complex than some smartphone interface where you only toggle between fullscreen surfaces basically. They already hinted that it might be delayed to 15.04
    i agree unity 8 right now is only for phones/tablet but maybe they launch a garbage distro very unstable and slow like 12.10

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    By then Windows 8.2 will probably be ready.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    I know I sound like a broken record but I really can not for the life of me see Canonical's mobile play. If a company like MS couldn't break into the market with the resources and marketing available to them, how will a company like Canonical?

    People say, "Ohh, Ubuntu will target the low-end cheap crappy phone market!" Well, that doesn't exactly engender bragging rights for the OS, does it? Will developers be eager to write apps to target this low-end crappy phone market? And besides, we already have a free mobile OS for low-end crappy phones: it's called Android and it comes with the Google Play market. And we already have a "convergent" OS: it's called Windows 8. And it was universally scorned and hated (at least the "convergent" part was). And convergence is more about cloud solutions than the UI look. And Canonical is closing all of that infrastructure down.

    Don't get me wrong, I don't see any issue with making an OS run on mobile devices. I think that's pretty cool. But to make it the fore-running goal of the software with no legitimate hope of success just comes off as a mix of vainglory and chasing the rainbow that is Apple's magical Steve Jobs cult.


    Canonical says they want developers to make apps for their platform. They can not be bothered to fix the catastrophic, asteroid-into-the-earth-level bugs that affect their own OS and they want us to write apps for their platform?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    They can not be bothered to fix the catastrophic, asteroid-into-the-earth-level bugs that affect their own OS and they want us to write apps for their platform?
    And which are those? Last time I checked Ubuntu absolutely dominated Linux desktop deployments in institutions and companies (where they use Linux), and in the cloud server market they are becoming bigger and bigger, and it is the largest Linux distribution out there, obviously they are doing something right and all those users dont seem to notice those show stopping bugs you talk about. Exaggeration much?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    But to make it the fore-running goal of the software with no legitimate hope of success just comes off as a mix of vainglory and chasing the rainbow that is Apple's magical Steve Jobs cult.
    You a psychic or something?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •