GeForce 700 vs. Radeon Rx 200 Series With The Latest Linux Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phill1978 View Post
    Thanks for the write up! Wow you bought that FX-9590 .. I feel for your loss
    Some people support AMD reguardless of the performance. I always support AMD.

Comment

Some people wants to bashing ATI and then AMD it must be tradition or something .

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        Some people wants to bashing ATI and then AMD it must be tradition or something .
        of course traditions are formed through many years of recurrent experience i.e AMD having poor drivers is definitely a tradition

Comment

Thanks for the write up! Wow you bought that FX-9590 .. I feel for your loss

Yup.

It boggles my mind ( I wanted to swear here but Once in a thread is enough) How you can take something so incredible, so precise, so well formed and so expensive to manufacture so gimped by software. When this shining, nay gleaming piece of incredible 32 nanometers with billions of transistors reaches its destination, the driver that talks and uses the features HARD CODED IN CHIP sits there scratching its out of Sync arse and sniffing its fingers not knowing where that smell is coming from..

.. the smell is coming from my PC as there is no fan profile or clocking so everything is 100% or nothing.

Don?t worry with valve on the case AMD after a whole year and after sacking their entire German Linux driver team the year before that are waking up and smelling the burning silicon..

in 2034 we WILL have a working AMD driver
          NOTE: MICROCENTER. Cost me what evarywharealse would've cost me the 8350... (or somewhere around $200, still overpriced, but I had a feeble hope going... still have an a10-7850k system to build, but I've not been pushing it as I need to xplant the 95 to a case that truly accomodates the water block cooler that I purchased for it, and the a10 will go in there, but I've lacked motivation from their godawful execution and generally crappy dismal weather this winter(140y records blown by and this spring is anything but springlike so far, so double negative on what my initial enthusiasm was for getting this done...).)

Things a pig though, perf is/was crap at the desktop(windows/linux) even with working drivers...

apparently the crappy ATI/AMD software guys that used to hang around the old crapalyst threads NEVAR took heart my commentary on how utter shit their drivers were v. what my desktop at that time(and what I still experience today) with nv were... sad... and even sadder that AMD can't get their thumb out and produce a competitive CPU arch, but just whinges about how big and bad intel is... (ODDLY enough Intel was just as big and bad back when they WERE competitive/bettarz... I give up. They can TRY to compete in the lowball range, but it aint gonna work, and APUs ROFLMAO they need to get their heads out of their asses as far as software goes before that'll work, and I expect by that time even Intel iGPUs will be seeing AMD/ATI in the rearview mirror... after all they're for all intents and purposes almost there already, and by almost I mean a few thin threads...)

wonder how those water blocks will hold up with their feeble minded 295x? Best ATI GPUs can pull off today is that they're so f'ed up that they don't dare restrict gpgpu on their cards IF they want to sell any.

Comment

Sorry for the DP, but I'm not seeing an edit post option, anyways, wow my last post got more mangled than I had thought(posted from one of my new notebooks, the Sager NP7330) when I fat fingered the touchpad and thought that I had recovered without really checking...

Just to re-iterate though, the 9590 cost me at the time, the going rate of an 8350 and even had I just settled for an 8350 I still would've gone highend on the mb. Just picked ASROCK as it was one of the 3(IIRC) boards that passed supporting the 9590 and I'd never had an ASROCK board before(GIGABYTE(haswell), ASUS(3930k and some way older), TYAN(old celeries, dualies slotket type), BIOSTAR(4800+ x2, not bad for a cheaper board) and ABIT(tbird, this board had problemz, VIA chipset type)).

Comment

of course traditions are formed through many years of recurrent experience i.e AMD having poor drivers is definitely a tradition
              And that's also why NVIDIA is bashed so hardcore. No documentation, no (open source) drivers and very poor treatment of the community. I don't blame Linus and other developers period why they loathe NVIDIA.

Comment

nVidia GPUs are crap.

Have desktop PC with geforce 660 and can't even change resolution to proper fullHD. not xrandr, display GUI utilitzy or that nvidia settings panel thing. that never happened with ATI/AMD card. And I have AMD cards 5+ years. Second thing. Notebook with Intel+Geforce optimus thing. Well here intel graphics works wonderfully. but the I got better FPS with integrated graphics. When I run some game throuth optirun I got lower FPS and horrid input lag. That geforce GPU is totally useless and just drain battery.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                  nVidia GPUs are crap.

Have desktop PC with geforce 660 and can't even change resolution to proper fullHD. not xrandr, display GUI utilitzy or that nvidia settings panel thing. that never happened with ATI/AMD card. And I have AMD cards 5+ years. Second thing. Notebook with Intel+Geforce optimus thing. Well here intel graphics works wonderfully. but the I got better FPS with integrated graphics. When I run some game throuth optirun I got lower FPS and horrid input lag. That geforce GPU is totally useless and just drain battery.
                  That's why many here are getting Nvidia cards or switching to them, right?

There's so many posts regarding the poor support of the binary drivers even though those should be easier to support compared to the FOSS drivers (which seem unsupported on two year-old hardware - VI aka R7/R9 etc. cards). Nvidia in Linux is close to the ones in Windows. Not so with the Catalyst.

I was looking at the R7 cards (mostly 260X and 265) but it looks like AMD is taking too long to support it as usual. This goes for the Catalyst drivers, too. 2D reportedly sucks. How can AMD not get a similar quality of driver comparable to the Windows one while Nvidia can? The work is separate between the binary and open source drivers yet there's complaints of bugs and the binary driver being unstable.

Glamor sounds like it's excessively buggy. So, with all these problems no matter if you use the blob or the FOSS driver, why use AMD and get headaches? Even if the Nvidia blob is a pain, it sound like the experience is more smooth when everything is set up properly. But, AMD doesn't support the Linux drivers despite $300+ cards being out over a year ago, already. :-(

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                    nVidia GPUs are crap.

I have a nvidia 780 GTX on desktop and to be honest I'm not that impressed with it's performance either. The closed nature of nVidia doesn't bother me but having one of the "best" GPU's chug in an old game does. Nvidia would of course blame the game for not being optimised for their hardware... But then why would I buy a faster GPU? I went nVidia just so that I could get good support in Linux but sigh what can I do really? To me it's lesser of two evils.

Any laptop that has a secondary power saving gpu is crud to me. Out of several, I have only ever seen ONE that did what it is supposed to do. Manufactures should simply just have a better power switch mode on the normal gpu rather than screw around with two gpu's. Surely they can come up with a throttling system that simply shuts cores down on the gpu itself.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      So...

1. Everyone says we should kill Catalyst and focus on open source drivers

2. We hire developers and help make good open source drivers

3. We phase out Catalyst support for the older GPUs but keep improving the open source driver support for them

4. ... and you'll never forgive us for doing it

I don't think I understand.
                      As a high end nVidia user, I am very impressed that AMD provides the option of both binary and open source. Much like the distros that provide binary or open source package management. If anything AMD are showing nvidia how it can be done.

Comment

Working...
                      X