Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unreal Engine 4.1 Released With Linux/SteamOS Support

Phoronix: Unreal Engine 4.1 Released With Linux/SteamOS Support

Earlier this month we wrote about Epic Games "loving" Linux/SteamOS and that they'd be bringing the support to UE4 with their next update. That next update, Unreal Engine 4.1, is now available with preliminary native support for gaming on Linux and SteamOS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ah fuck, Valve. Now look what you've caused. This is why we can't have nice things.

Comment

Me wants the new shiny!

Err, ahem. Can't wait to see some games (and benchmarks) based on this. Bonus points for when we get it running on r600g/radeonsi/etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
        ... Bonus points for when we get it running on r600g/radeonsi/etc.
        Yeah, this is a problem, I might have to dual boot, one with open source for general useage, and one with Catalyst for AAA games. I doubt the open source drivers will be able to cope with UE4 until we start seeing compliance with higher versions of OpenGL.

Comment

Title, corrected:
          Unreal Engine 4.1 Released With PRELIMINARY Linux/SteamOS Support
          The difference? Between we're there and we're not there yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
            Bonus points for when we get it running on r600g/radeonsi/etc.
            As far as I understand for now UE4 only have OpenGL 3.3 renderer finished so it's should work on open source drivers just fine.

Comment

I wonder how hard it would be to port an UE3 game to UE4?

Comment

deploying projects to Linux requires compiling source from GitHub using a Windows-based computer
                Epic!

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  I wonder how hard it would be to port an UE3 game to UE4?
                  Pretty hard. A major component of UE3 was UnrealScript. UE4 now uses C++ for everything, so all the UnrealScript bits would have to be rewritten.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                    Yeah, this is a problem, I might have to dual boot, one with open source for general useage, and one with Catalyst for AAA games. I doubt the open source drivers will be able to cope with UE4 until we start seeing compliance with higher versions of OpenGL.
                    i would look that as positive, not negative. according to mesa, newer gl is not that far out

from gl4+ all new extensions are more or less optimizations that enable same thing perform much faster since you can avoid most cpu/gpu wait/sync states and drastically remove cpu bottlenecking.

and as much as it sucks if there is no support for it on your card, game or engine developed against gl4+ only could simply bring too much to the table to be brought down by legacy. gl4 is not something really new that would require $1000 card.

not to mention, dropping 3 and going with 4 would probably boost mesa progress

deploying projects to Linux requires compiling source from GitHub using a Windows-based computer
                    work is being done on this https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Building_On_Linux
                    Last edited by justmy2cents; 25 April 2014, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X