Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD Catalyst 14.4 Brings Few Linux Performance Improvements

Default AMD Catalyst 14.4 Brings Few Linux Performance Improvements

Phoronix: AMD Catalyst 14.4 Brings Few Linux Performance Improvements

On Monday AMD made publicly available the release candidate to the Catalyst 14.4 Linux driver that brings full OpenGL 4.4 support. Some Phoronix readers have reported performance changes with this new driver update, so I have done some comparison tests on several AMD Radeon graphics drivers to see how the performance compares with Catalyst 14.4 on Ubuntu Linux.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=20274

How about trying it on a more limited CPU? There could be improvements on lowering CPU overhead.

The Unvanquished ultra settings showed improvement in peaks: 290 went from 74 to 62 for example.

BTW it's hard to compare when the runs are spread apart. Can they be sorted so that each card is next to each other? "290 old, 290 new, 6950 old, 6950 new"

Using an expression used in ET:QW "I don't care"

The only thing i noticed in 14.4 was a slight smaller stuttering and that was that....then , like i said in the other thread, made yet another clean install of XUBUNTU 14.04, compile libtxc_dxtn and kernel 3.15rc2 and quite simply the OSS driver beats the c++p out of Catalyst in all performance and quality parameters that you can think of....

Catalyst is now for me a dead horse.

Did he mean to say "A Few"? Saying just "Few Linux Performance Improvements" sounds like bad news to me.

How's input lag in source engine games with mediocre hardware?

So which of these benchmarks use OGL 4.4?
    Oh that's right...none.

Instead of concentrating on backwards compatibility AMD is focusing on the upcomming 4.4 spec because the upcomming titles are gonna be using it.
    It's a good idea. AMD should be focusing on the future to get a handle on the present. Everything will eventually work out.
    As GPU's get more powerfull further refinements in older spec's become increasingly irrelevant.
    Last edited by grndzro; 04-23-2014 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grndzro View Post
    So which of these benchmarks use OGL 4.4?
    Oh that's right...none.

Instead of concentrating on backwards compatibility AMD is focusing on the upcomming 4.4 spec because the upcomming titles are gonna be using it.
    It's a good idea. AMD should be focusing on the future to get a handle on the present. Everything will eventually work out.
    As GPU's get more powerfull further refinements in older spec's become increasingly irrelevant.
    We have a winner. Another series of useless benchmarks.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
    We have a winner. Another series of useless benchmarks.
    Not at all, Unigine Heaven and Valley are great benchmarks, as we can see in the tests. I don't know of any games that are using OpenGL 4.4 yet, or even games that are fully using OpenGL 4.0. The only one I know of is Christophe Riccio's (gtruc) OpenGL Sample Pack, and that's not a benchmark, more of a "test what the drivers can do and how they conform to the specification".
    https://github.com/Groovounet/ogl-samples

Michael

Could You look into this:
    Those are fairly nice test cases. No FPS for those, ofc. But general score should also be nice (and as anyone can see nobody can perfect score yet.)
    Gtruc is actively maintaining them, and updating every time new OpenGL come along.

Quote Originally Posted by Azpegath View Post
    Not at all, Unigine Heaven and Valley are great benchmarks, as we can see in the tests. I don't know of any games that are using OpenGL 4.4 yet, or even games that are fully using OpenGL 4.0. The only one I know of is Christophe Riccio's (gtruc) OpenGL Sample Pack, and that's not a benchmark, more of a "test what the drivers can do and how they conform to the specification".
    https://github.com/Groovounet/ogl-samples