Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Linux Foundation Announces A Core Infrastructure Initiative

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,780

    Default Linux Foundation Announces A Core Infrastructure Initiative

    Phoronix: Linux Foundation Announces A Core Infrastructure Initiative

    The Linux Foundation has announced a multi-million dollar Core Infrastructure Initiative to fund critical open-source projects. The first project receiving money from this pool is OpenSSL...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY3MjE

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    199

    Default

    Hmmm....OpenSSL, not LibreSSL? I thought OpenSSL was irrevocably broken?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,551

    Default

    "Core Infrastructure Initiative"? Aww, I was hoping it would be called "Pacemaker"

    Quote Originally Posted by kaprikawn View Post
    Hmmm....OpenSSL, not LibreSSL? I thought OpenSSL was irrevocably broken?
    Not if you throw money at it it's not!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kaprikawn View Post
    Hmmm....OpenSSL, not LibreSSL? I thought OpenSSL was irrevocably broken?
    It's clearly not LibreSSL. Linux Foundation should not accept the terms in which the investment is done; they have to protect the freedom of the libre community and they should administer that investment money in the projects they are genuinely and scientifically interested on. If all those companies have real interest in patching OpenSSL, they should bring their own developers to upload patches to the project. What I believe they are attempting is to control the interest of development for their own benefit.

  5. #5

    Default Competition

    The HeartBlead bug showed us that there was a lack of competition on SSL layer software. Too many considered OpenSSL the best even tough it had many disadvantages. And this is why ot became almost omnipresent.

    OpenBSD will ensure that OpenSSL have some competition and the Linux Foundation will ensure that OpenSSL stand a change in this competition.

    You can always argue that this should have happened long ago. But that argument won't fix anything.

    They are fixing this now, and that is good.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    20

    Default Where the F is HP at?

    Big names in the industry - but where the f is HP? They had over 30 bugtraq advisories last 2 weeks, all concerning the heartbleed bug. If there's anyone who should throw in monies to improve on OpenSSL it's definitely HP who takes it all, gives nothing back.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arabek View Post
    Big names in the industry - but where the f is HP? They had over 30 bugtraq advisories last 2 weeks, all concerning the heartbleed bug. If there's anyone who should throw in monies to improve on OpenSSL it's definitely HP who takes it all, gives nothing back.
    Just as i wrote - 4 more came in with the same heartbleed bug as the cause... HP, what's your game!?

    @Michael - might want to reach out to them for comment?

    EDIT: for reference: http://insecure.org/search.html?cx=p...leed&sa=Search

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    288

    Default

    Yes, please, give some money to the Xfce devs so they can work full time on it. And let's not forget Gimp, Inkscape, Blender, LibreOffice, Openshot, Wine and others.

    Better development tools would be nice too. Something like Eclipse (a multi-purpose IDE) but without the bloat.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wargames View Post
    Yes, please, give some money to the Xfce devs so they can work full time on it. And let's not forget Gimp, Inkscape, Blender, LibreOffice, Openshot, Wine and others.

    Better development tools would be nice too. Something like Eclipse (a multi-purpose IDE) but without the bloat.
    I'm all for that.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    5,102

    Default

    Gimp, Libreoffice and the others aren't exactly "Core Internet infrastructure" this fund was meant for :P

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •