Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA's Amazing Single-Board ARM Computer Might Be Delayed

Phoronix: NVIDIA's Amazing Single-Board ARM Computer Might Be Delayed

Last month NVIDIA announced a really exciting ARM development board based around their Tegra K1 ARM SoC called the Jetson TK1. This high-end ARM board was supposed to begin shipping this week, but it looks like that might be in question...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No ARMv8 64-bit.
    Too expensive.
    No eSATA or Power over Ethernet (PoE).

Comment

Makes you wonder if ARM is jinxed

If NVidia can't get an ARM based board out on time it makes you wonder who can.

Comment

The TK1 features a Tegra K1 SoC with four ARM Cortex-A15 CPU cores plus a companion core, NVIDIA Kepler GPU graphics with 192 CUDA cores...
        What's a companion core? Something to keep them company in case they get lonely?

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
          Seems not too uncommon for boards, especially ones that have attracted a lot of attention, to be backordered in the beginning. They are usually announced before there is a warehouse full of them to handle initial demand, plus production on a new board is usually slow at the beginning while last minute kinks on board design and mfg process are worked out. The more interesting thing is when people who put in the first orders get their board, vs. how long someone putting in a new order has to wait..

Comment

I'm on my iPhone so I can't readily research. Does this board support CUDA 5.5?

Comment

Originally posted by Saverios View Post
              What's a companion core? Something to keep them company in case they get lonely?
              It's a fifth core which will be used for tasks with low power requirements and is completely invisible to OS. It's quite a similar for a arm's big.LITTLE.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                No ARMv8 64-bit.
                Too expensive.
                No eSATA or Power over Ethernet (PoE).
                1. No, but Cortex-A15's aren't too shabby. It's a shame they didn't include more RAM seeing as it supports LPAE and virtualisation.
                2. Not really. It's certainly not at the cheap end of the spectrum, though. If you want to play around with CUDA and/or OpenGL (not OpenGL ES) on ARM, this should be great.
                3. Considering this is just a single board with no case, I don't really see the point of complaining about no eSATA. It has a SATA port, plug in a HDD/SSD and be done with it. If you're going to go to the trouble of putting it in a case to make it presentable, finding a PoE adaptor (or eSATA adaptor) shouldn't be much more trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by STrRedWolf View Post
                  I'm on my iPhone so I can't readily research. Does this board support CUDA 5.5?
                  It supports cuda 6.0. I'm not sure which compute capabilities it has, gk208 and gk110 has 3.5 so most likely it has 3.5 too(gk104/6/7 has 3.0 and maxwell 5.0).

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                    Don't forget that Nvidia isn't a big company, compared to its competitors. Having far less buying makes things far harder.

Comment

Working...
                    X