PC-BSD Is Developing Its Own Desktop Environment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TeamBlackFox View Post
    I for one find this fantastic news. Gets me ever closer to having more options for a GPL free desktop. FreeBSD is technology wise superior to Linux, and I believe part of it is the more moderate BSD and MIT licenses. FreeBSD has ZFS which is miles ahead of any Linux filesystem,
    Funny, you keep droning about how "great" permissive licenses like BSD and MIT are but at the same time glorifies ZFS inclusion into BSD which is CDDL which is "copyleft". Typical BSD hypocrite.

its init system is impeccable and easy to debug, ports and pkgng are also very good.
    The BSD init system is very bad (even for it's time) and is far out of date. It's very implementation is just wrong and it's reliance on shell scripts and a rigid dependency system makes it hard to debug, complicated, a huge miss and very unreliable.

Ports are pointless, there's not two ways about it. You download software to use it not compile it. Compiling ports can take up to 2 days to compile and there are often broken dependencies. I'll never have this with a Linux package manager and no pkgng is terrible. Pkgng is way behind virtually all Linux pkg managers, it cannot handle conflicts properly. When ever there's a change in the name of the package say (python 2.6 to python 2.7) pkgng upgrade thinks it's a conflict and refuses to upgrade. Such things never occur in a Linux pkg manager. Also, pkgng is very slower then many linux package managers not to mention allegations of code thief and GPL violations against apt-get.

Anyone using a GNU utility is unfortunately contributing to the problem of free software.
    So you hate free software huh? Well my sorry but people the right to be free from slavery and bondage. If you don't like it, surrender yourself to the Hagel

Comment

Originally posted by beetreetime View Post
      allegations of code thief and GPL violations against apt-get.
      This claim has only ever been made by a very strange blog which makes a variety of remarkable assertions - none of which are backed up with any citation - and has been known to urge people to kill themselves over their use of BSD software (this is absolutely disgusting, and should not be seen as acceptable in the world), as well as spouting homophobic and racist rhetoric. It cannot be taken seriously until it cites any specific examples of theft of GPL code in pkgng.

TeamBlackFox rails against the GPL, not the CDDL, which is more comparable to the LGPL.

As for the NetBSD Init system (as used by NetBSD and FreeBSD - not sure about OpenBSD) - it's a little dated, but it works well enough. I have been working to create a system that uses the NetBSD Init system only for system initialisation, while keeping services supervised under a more advanced system. This is a potentially clean and simple solution.

Comment

Originally posted by beetreetime View Post
        Funny, you keep droning about how "great" permissive licenses like BSD and MIT are but at the same time glorifies ZFS inclusion into BSD which is CDDL which is "copyleft". Typical BSD hypocrite.

The BSD init system is very bad (even for it's time) and is far out of date. It's very implementation is just wrong and it's reliance on shell scripts and a rigid dependency system makes it hard to debug, complicated, a huge miss and very unreliable.

Ports are pointless, there's not two ways about it. You download software to use it not compile it. Compiling ports can take up to 2 days to compile and there are often broken dependencies. I'll never have this with a Linux package manager and no pkgng is terrible. Pkgng is way behind virtually all Linux pkg managers, it cannot handle conflicts properly. When ever there's a change in the name of the package say (python 2.6 to python 2.7) pkgng upgrade thinks it's a conflict and refuses to upgrade. Such things never occur in a Linux pkg manager. Also, pkgng is very slower then many linux package managers not to mention allegations of code thief and GPL violations against apt-get.

So you hate free software huh? Well my sorry but people the right to be free from slavery and bondage. If you don't like it, surrender yourself to the Hagel
        You are a loser.

Comment

Originally posted by JX8p View Post
          This claim has only ever been made by a very strange blog which makes a variety of remarkable assertions - none of which are backed up with any citation - and has been known to urge people to kill themselves over their use of BSD software (this is absolutely disgusting, and should not be seen as acceptable in the world), as well as spouting homophobic and racist rhetoric. It cannot be taken seriously until it cites any specific examples of theft of GPL code in pkgng.

TeamBlackFox rails against the GPL, not the CDDL, which is more comparable to the LGPL.

As for the NetBSD Init system (as used by NetBSD and FreeBSD - not sure about OpenBSD) - it's a little dated, but it works well enough. I have been working to create a system that uses the NetBSD Init system only for system initialisation, while keeping services supervised under a more advanced system. This is a potentially clean and simple solution.
          I don't have an issue with free software at all, but copyleft is not free. Especially the GPL which uses copyright in the first place to justify itself. The CDDL and the LGPL are lesser evils, but I honestly dislike GNU more than copyleft itself. So I aim for no GPL or LGPL code on my next desktop. I appreciate what GNU wants, but I am a realist, people need to make money and I honestly don't see other people using my code in proprietary products as "stealing"

Also as previously stated, abouthebsds.wordpress.com is not credible at all for your sources. If you, beetreetime have empirical evidence to support this such as lines of code in pkgng which are similar I'd be happy to review it and if so, recant my statement that it's not anything to do with apt-get.

Finally, jx8p I'd be very interested in seeing that. Sounds sort of like Runit, initng or OpenRC.

Comment

I don't have an issue with free software at all, but copyleft is not free. Especially the GPL which uses copyright in the first place to justify itself.
            The CDDL and the LGPL are lesser evils, but I honestly dislike GNU more than copyleft itself. So I aim for no GPL or LGPL code on my next desktop.
            This shows how F**ked up you are.

I appreciate what GNU wants, but I am a realist, people need to make money and I honestly don't see other people using my code in proprietary products as "stealing"
            People like you are the reason why slave exists.

Translation of TeamBlackFox's comments: "I don't like slavery but I have to generate profit. So I need slaves"

Also as previously stated, abouthebsds.wordpress.com is not credible at all for your sources. If you, beetreetime have empirical evidence to support this such as lines of code in pkgng which are similar I'd be happy to review it and if so, recant my statement that it's not anything to do with apt-get.

Finally, jx8p I'd be very interested in seeing that. Sounds sort of like Runit, initng or OpenRC.
            Proof?

Comment

I don't have an issue with free software at all, but copyleft is not free. Especially the GPL which uses copyright in the first place to justify itself. The CDDL and the LGPL are lesser evils, but I honestly dislike GNU more than copyleft itself. So I aim for no GPL or LGPL code on my next desktop. I appreciate what GNU wants, but I am a realist, people need to make money and I honestly don't see other people using my code in proprietary products as "stealing"

From the language of his comments, I think TeamBlackFox uses, Mac OS X not PCBSD (like all BSD "users", supports and developers).

Comment

Originally posted by JX8p View Post
                As for the NetBSD Init system (as used by NetBSD and FreeBSD - not sure about OpenBSD) - it's a little dated,
                CORRECT!!!

but it works well enough.
                WRONG, no init system that relies on shell scripts work correctly. Systemd is the first one to fix this.

I have been working to create a system that uses the NetBSD Init system only for system initialization, while keeping services supervised under a more advanced system. This is a potentially clean and simple solution.
                Good luck getting the BSD losers to include that in their OS (considering that you are not BSD dev). PS. where's the code??

No code = vaporware.

Comment

Refreshing BeerSD

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  Phoronix: PC-BSD Is Developing Its Own Desktop Environment

The PC-BSD project is developing its own desktop environment from scratch! The ultimate plan is for Lumina to become a full-featured, open-source desktop environment that may ultimately replace KDE as its default desktop environment...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY3MTc

Even though Lumina is still "alpha", I recently installed it, on a (default) PCBSD-10-Joule installation. It is getting better with every commit.
                  It is amazingly clean, and fast. -The next thing will be finalizing their Lumina-Filemanager, which, will be built from scratch for BSD.

No gnome/Linux bloat anymore. It's refreshing to feel how well a "bloatfree" system, with a proper DE can actually run.
                  Hats-off to the BSD dev's, for this, it's been a long time comin'.
                  Last edited by scjet; 02 June 2014, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by scjet View Post
                    Even though Lumina is still "alpha", I recently installed it, on a (default) PCBSD-10-Joule installation. It is getting better with every commit.
                    It is amazingly clean, and fast. -The next thing will be finalizing their Lumina-Filemanager, which, will be built from scratch for BSD.

No gnome/Linux bloat anymore. It's refreshing to feel how well a "bloatfree" system, with a proper DE can actually run.
                    Do you think you could take a screenshot for those too busy to go and try it out? I'm assuming that it won't be a major change, but it'd be nice to have an idea of what it looks like already.

Comment

Originally posted by scjet View Post

Of course, any software in alpha stage does not have bloatware yet. Wait till they have their first release. Particularly with BSD which is known for being bloat in the default install and 1000000 times slower then Linux or even Windows.

The most probable thing that will happen is Lumina will be a desktop heavier then gnome 3 or KDE4 (whatever is heavier) and at the same time buggy and probably unusable.

Comment

Working...
                      X