PC-BSD Is Developing Its Own Desktop Environment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rdnetto View Post
    If OSS went proprietary, then it's not like BSD would have to stop using it; they'd just fork it and keep going. Worst case scenario, it's unsupported until someone picks up the slack.
    Also, I'm pretty sure the reason BSD isn't interested in porting ASLA is because it's a steaming pile of buggy crap compared to OSS4. Pretty much everyone I know who has to work with ALSA drivers feels that way about it.
    OSS did go proprietary in the past. But instead of Linux developers writing their own OSS implementation or forking OSS like the BSDs, what did they do? They had the audacity to write a new API, ALSA, even though other Unix-like operating systems supported OSS. And then they actually tried to encourage open source developers to use ALSA instead of OSS ... it's almost like vendor lock-in except it's Linux.

But this is all in reference to one disgruntled poster who saw the efforts of writing a new Desktop Environment as arrogant. I apologize for going completely off topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
      Do you really want it? It sounds like you don't.
      I don't see the need for the personal attacks. It doesn't feel like you followed my argument, though. I love Open Source, and I have hacked GPLed code as I had time in the past. I probably will when the kids are older and I have time again. My argument is that hackers will do what they please, and I love that, and I want that to happen. I am one of them, for that matter. All I'm saying is that you can't coordinate all of these individuals and ask them to work on one project. Only a company will do that. And they have done it, over and over, and Ubuntu is doing it, and others will keep doing it. Samsung became the number one electronics manufacturer in the world after embracing Open Source.

The community provides the spark and the foundations, the basic technologies, and the private sector puts things together in final products for the regular consumer. It doesn't bother me, quite the opposite. Businesses will exist, I'll much rather they work with us.

Comment

Lots of complaining

I see lots of complaining "oh another DE". Maybe the PC-BSD folks just want to have some fun and experience something new? Thats kinda why we are all here to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by goTouch View Post
          Hey, I'd rather to see them succeed with a better modular light weighted design,
          and so successful that it can be ported to Linux and replace some of other *DE's.

Be success, please!
          'modular light weight', that phrase is an oxymoron.

Especially when it comes from OpenBSD guys, who are gonna make their microkernel+servers fantasy into DE.
          Linus once said (i'm paraphrasing): "OpenBSD guys care about security to the point when nothing else really matters (to them)".

Love these guys tho

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
            This might be more stupid than Debian trying to pretend to support Hurd and to get anyone to use it.
            If Linux DE's are going to follow Linux specific way (systemd etc.) it could be an alternative. What's very nice they're using Qt.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
              On the other hand, it would also have been nice if they cooperated with those other DEs, [snip]
              Cooperation is overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
                I'm sorry but the Linux community needs to rally behind 1 or a few DE's.
                I really don't think there is such a thing as _the_ Linux community, outside of the collaboration that takes place between developers. What does exist are disparate groups and individuals who have nothing in common other than the operating system they use. To use a tired metaphor, "rallying" Linux users is like herding cats.

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
                Anyone creating a new DE at this point has a level of arrogance that the Linux community dosen't need.
                Please try to resist your totalitarian tendencies!
                Last edited by bison; 24 April 2014, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post
                  'modular light weight', that phrase is an oxymoron.

Especially when it comes from OpenBSD guys, who are gonna make their microkernel+servers fantasy into DE.
                  Linus once said (i'm paraphrasing): "OpenBSD guys care about security to the point when nothing else really matters (to them)".

Love these guys tho
                  Only that these are the PC-BSD guys, not the OpenBSD developers.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
                    This sentence doesn't comprehend to me? Mind to repeat?

Would be nice if it made some headway, imo. There are already pleanty of alternative Qt DEs, but not many that are complete or full featured and stable. On the other hand, it would also have been nice if they cooperated with those other DEs, but I guess they had some other grand plan (haven't read their blog post yet).

[/thread]
                    In short, they don't have neither the manpower nor skill to create a better or even competitive alternative to say KDE (esp upcoming KDE5).
                    Starting a "killer project" is easy, but statistically succeeds less than 1%.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                      In short, they don't have neither the manpower nor skill to create a better or even competitive alternative to say KDE (esp upcoming KDE5).
                      Starting a "killer project" is easy, but statistically succeeds less than 1%.
                      Lucky thing kde, gnome, xfce, lxde, unity, etc were in the 1% !!

Comment

Working...
                      X