Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC-BSD Is Developing Its Own Desktop Environment

Phoronix: PC-BSD Is Developing Its Own Desktop Environment

The PC-BSD project is developing its own desktop environment from scratch! The ultimate plan is for Lumina to become a full-featured, open-source desktop environment that may ultimately replace KDE as its default desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, at least that's a nice change of pace from all the Gnome forks...

Comment

This might be more stupid than Debian trying to pretend to support Hurd and to get anyone to use it.

Comment

Sigh - another wanna be desktop

Gnome, Unity, XFCE, KDE, Razor, (ten others). Does the world need yet another 95% completed Desktop. Yes to a degree they are all bad, but can't they try to pick one and work with them. I mean there is so much more to writting a desktop then just playing with crayons and creating widgets. I've been a big fan of KDE for along time, but I am looking for Unity 8 to take me away from KDE once and for all.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
          This might be more stupid than Debian trying to pretend to support Hurd and to get anyone to use it.
          This sentence doesn't comprehend to me? Mind to repeat?

Would be nice if it made some headway, imo. There are already pleanty of alternative Qt DEs, but not many that are complete or full featured and stable. On the other hand, it would also have been nice if they cooperated with those other DEs, but I guess they had some other grand plan (haven't read their blog post yet).

[/thread]

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud View Post
            Gnome, Unity, XFCE, KDE, Razor, (ten others). Does the world need yet another 95% completed Desktop. Yes to a degree they are all bad, but can't they try to pick one and work with them. I mean there is so much more to writting a desktop then just playing with crayons and creating widgets. I've been a big fan of KDE for along time, but I am looking for Unity 8 to take me away from KDE once and for all.
            I am looking at the same with regards to Unity 8. But I see things differently, otherwise. I see KDE, Gnome, LXDE, etc as test beds. Open source hackers scratching an itch. Ultimately, you need Google to create a Chromebook, or Android, or even Ubuntu to create a consistent UI, hopefully Unity 8. Meaning, software as a hobby is awesome, but the power of Open Source is precisely cooperation and access to the code, rather than hobbyism.

So, you need a company to produce a polished product. This has not been an impediment. Linux/Open Source runs most of the phones in this world, most of the tablets, most of the servers, almost every supercomputer, a good chunk of the cloud/big data, and the only growing segment of personal computers (Chromebooks). The main partners for this have been IBM on the big Iron in the early years, and later Intel, Google certainly, and very many other corporations.

Let the hackers keep having fun, forking away, creating, recreating, failing and succeeding. It's all good.

Comment

Because we all need another DE right?
              MATE is very good
              KDE is very good
              Some of the others are very good.

I honestly hope it fails. I'm sorry but the Linux community needs to rally behind 1 or a few DE's.
              Anyone creating a new DE at this point has a level of arrogance that the Linux community dosen't need.
              Take a look at Ubuntu for an example.

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
                Anyone creating a new DE at this point has a level of arrogance that the Linux community dosen't need.
                Well the good thing is that it's not the "Linux community" behind it but BSD.

Comment

I haven't used PC-BSD, but this might be a "that's it! screw it!" reaction. Maybe all DEs just doesn't work very well on BSD, since pretty much all of them are made with Linux in mind? With systemd (and by extension logind), maybe Linux finally ventured far away enough from likeness with BSD that a new DE is needed?

Comment

Hey, I'd rather to see them succeed with a better modular light weighted design,
                    and so successful that it can be ported to Linux and replace some of other *DE's.

Be success, please!

Comment

Working...
                    X