Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Is Bringing VOGL To Windows & Working On Regression Tests

Phoronix: Valve Is Bringing VOGL To Windows & Working On Regression Tests

Valve's VOGL OpenGL debugger is being ported to run on Microsoft Windows. Besides the work on making the open-source debugger for game developers to work on non-Linux platforms, VOGL also is receiving some other interesting work...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Makes sense since VOGL's purpose is to get developers to port their games over to Linux.

Comment

I live for the day when games will be ported from Linux to window$

Comment

Good. Its always good to have software working on multiple OSs. I am curious, was there anything comparable before on windows for openGL? (that was any good) Or is this the first?

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
          Good. Its always good to have software working on multiple OSs. I am curious, was there anything comparable before on windows for openGL? (that was any good) Or is this the first?
          NVidia and AMD both have their own debuggers, but i'm not sure if they're free or not. And i think they are tied to their hardware, while VOGL attempts to work on everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
            I live for the day when games will be ported from Linux to window$
            Got any games in mind? Tux Racer has been ported to Windows. I believe the KDE games have also been ported. In fact I can't think of a Linux game off the top of my head that isn't available on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              NVidia and AMD both have their own debuggers, but i'm not sure if they're free or not. And i think they are tied to their hardware, while VOGL attempts to work on everything.
              No, they obviously aren't free/libre.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                AMD gDEBugger is free, however not open source. It works properly on both AMD and NV cards (I didn't test them with Intel GPUs).

Comment

Originally posted by nadro View Post
                  AMD gDEBugger is free, however not open source. It works properly on both AMD and NV cards (I didn't test them with Intel GPUs).
                  Wait, how can something be free software if it isn't open source? I don't think that makes any sense...

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
                    There is apitrace, which is both FOSS and even supports D3D aside from OpenGL. Valve created vogl because apitrace was too simple for their needs, but for smaller case graphics debugging like the stuff I do, apitrace is enough.

Comment

Working...
                    X