Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Valve Is Bringing VOGL To Windows & Working On Regression Tests

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,371

    Default Valve Is Bringing VOGL To Windows & Working On Regression Tests

    Phoronix: Valve Is Bringing VOGL To Windows & Working On Regression Tests

    Valve's VOGL OpenGL debugger is being ported to run on Microsoft Windows. Besides the work on making the open-source debugger for game developers to work on non-Linux platforms, VOGL also is receiving some other interesting work...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY3MTY

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    342

    Default

    Makes sense since VOGL's purpose is to get developers to port their games over to Linux.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    1,027

    Default

    I live for the day when games will be ported from Linux to window$

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Kansas.
    Posts
    250

    Default

    Good. Its always good to have software working on multiple OSs. I am curious, was there anything comparable before on windows for openGL? (that was any good) Or is this the first?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ua=42 View Post
    Good. Its always good to have software working on multiple OSs. I am curious, was there anything comparable before on windows for openGL? (that was any good) Or is this the first?
    NVidia and AMD both have their own debuggers, but i'm not sure if they're free or not. And i think they are tied to their hardware, while VOGL attempts to work on everything.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apopas View Post
    I live for the day when games will be ported from Linux to window$
    Got any games in mind? Tux Racer has been ported to Windows. I believe the KDE games have also been ported. In fact I can't think of a Linux game off the top of my head that isn't available on Windows.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    NVidia and AMD both have their own debuggers, but i'm not sure if they're free or not. And i think they are tied to their hardware, while VOGL attempts to work on everything.
    No, they obviously aren't free/libre.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    NVidia and AMD both have their own debuggers, but i'm not sure if they're free or not. And i think they are tied to their hardware, while VOGL attempts to work on everything.
    AMD gDEBugger is free, however not open source. It works properly on both AMD and NV cards (I didn't test them with Intel GPUs).

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nadro View Post
    AMD gDEBugger is free, however not open source. It works properly on both AMD and NV cards (I didn't test them with Intel GPUs).
    Wait, how can something be free software if it isn't open source? I don't think that makes any sense...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ua=42 View Post
    Good. Its always good to have software working on multiple OSs. I am curious, was there anything comparable before on windows for openGL? (that was any good) Or is this the first?
    There is apitrace, which is both FOSS and even supports D3D aside from OpenGL. Valve created vogl because apitrace was too simple for their needs, but for smaller case graphics debugging like the stuff I do, apitrace is enough.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •