Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Is Taking Over Linux 3.13 Kernel Maintenance

Phoronix: Canonical Is Taking Over Linux 3.13 Kernel Maintenance

Greg Kroah-Hartman released the Linux 3.13.11 kernel this week and then called it end-of-life with the Linux 3.14 kernel now being available. However, the Ubuntu Kernel Team at Canonical has now pledged to take up the upstream maintenance of the 3.13 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What I know is than in Team Fortress 2 the performance of the kernel 3.13 is notably better than the 3.14, I hope it get fixed soon.

Comment

I hope that they fix the bug that me and many other people having AMD APUs are affected with. It is primarily on AMD APUs running 3.13 kernel. The whole bug report can be found at https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1309578

As a result of this many people having AMD APUs and particularly MSI boards are unable to install Ubuntu 14.04 into their hardware. Maybe with Ubuntu now maintaining 3.13, this might change. I hope this gets fixed soon. Also Arch with the newer kernel is also having the same bug. Something is weird with new Kernel releases and AMD APU pair.

Meanwhile distros with 3.11 or older works just fine.

Comment

14.04 is supported for 5 years so what happens af the 2 years?

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
          The 14.04.1 will be released, i suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Seldon View Post
            The 14.04.1 will be released, i suppose.
            By then there will be several 14.04.x releases.

What happens when a new LTS is released is that the previous one inherits some base packages from the new one, including the kernel, as a mean to improve hardware support.

Comment

Originally posted by SangeetKhatri View Post
              I hope that they fix the bug that me and many other people having AMD APUs are affected with. It is primarily on AMD APUs running 3.13 kernel. The whole bug report can be found at https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1309578

As a result of this many people having AMD APUs and particularly MSI boards are unable to install Ubuntu 14.04 into their hardware. Maybe with Ubuntu now maintaining 3.13, this might change. I hope this gets fixed soon. Also Arch with the newer kernel is also having the same bug. Something is weird with new Kernel releases and AMD APU pair.

Meanwhile distros with 3.11 or older works just fine.
              That's just been a long-standing bug ever since kernel 3.13-rc1 released that I reported more than once. The issue is just that you have to disable DPM since DPM is broken for all Radeon HD 6000-based graphics cards, which includes Richland APUs. If you modify grub on the ISO to have radeon.dpm disabled, it works fine. Likewise, if you upgrade to kernel 3.14-3.15 it works fine.

Comment

nothing

point releases, 4 or 5 will be release (with new kernel and mesa drivers, except the first one) and will continued with security fixes untill the end of 5 years

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
                  point releases, 4 or 5 will be release (with new kernel and mesa drivers, except the first one) and will continued with security fixes untill the end of 5 years
                  People who install 12.04.0/1 with the 3.13 kernel won't automatically be moved to the default kernel from later point releases.

Comment

People who install 12.04.0/1 with the 3.13 kernel won't automatically be moved to the default kernel from later point releases.
                    So they'll just have to update it manually before 3.13 support ends. That won't be until well after 14.04.2 (and maybe 14.04.3) is out, so everyone should have plenty of time to test with the new kernel before updating live stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X