Thread: DNF 0.5 Yum Replacement Now Supports Groups

Default DNF 0.5 Yum Replacement Now Supports Groups

Phoronix: DNF 0.5 Yum Replacement Now Supports Groups

DNF, the next-generation replacement to Yum on Red Hat systems, now has support for groups and environments...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY3MTA

Default 1/2 OT

Any yum-pros here?

I'm searching for a way to setup 32-bit diskless installations on a 64-bit RHEL6 (clone).
    Those will be transferred to a remote server.

So far I have not been able to find a way to override the $basearch (etc.) variables.
    They seem to be always expanded from the system architecture of the workstation.
    However, I don't want to setup a 32-bit system solely for 32-bit diskless configurations.

Manually replacing the variables in a separate yum config file and .repo files is, well, hackish.
    It seems to work, but I'm not sure if it has side effects that I have not yet stumbled across.

I'd be grateful for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Any yum-pros here?

I'm searching for a way to setup 32-bit diskless installations on a 64-bit RHEL6 (clone).
    Those will be transferred to a remote server.

So far I have not been able to find a way to override the $basearch (etc.) variables.
    They seem to be always expanded from the system architecture of the workstation.
    However, I don't want to setup a 32-bit system solely for 32-bit diskless configurations.

Manually replacing the variables in a separate yum config file and .repo files is, well, hackish.
    It seems to work, but I'm not sure if it has side effects that I have not yet stumbled across.

I'd be grateful for your input!
    You could try using setarch or install the multi-lib libraries but ideally the apps should match the base platform.

Quote Originally Posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    You could try using setarch or install the multi-lib libraries but ideally the apps should match the base platform.
    Thank you very much, Rahul!

setarch sounds like it provides exactly what I'm looking for.
    Shame on me, I didn't know about that command.
    I'll try it tomorrow.

Thanks again!

P.S. Wouldn't it make sense to have a parameter to yum/dnf which allows overriding the architecture directly?

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Thank you very much, Rahul!

setarch sounds like it provides exactly what I'm looking for.
    Shame on me, I didn't know about that command.
    I'll try it tomorrow.

Thanks again!

P.S. Wouldn't it make sense to have a parameter to yum/dnf which allows overriding the architecture directly?
    don't know if that is a common enough use case that calls for integration but if you feel so, you can request it