Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Else Would You Like To See On Phoronix This Spring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's why you rock!

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Frankly I'd probably be better off financially just shutting down Phoronix.com. I can make more doing PTS/OB/Phoromatic development for enterprise customers and in some years a few weeks/months dedicated to that have outpaced a year of Phoronix.com ad revenues. But I'm passionate about Phoronix.com and in trying to deliver interesting Linux enthusiast-oriented news not readily found elsewhere, etc, so that's why I'll be a stubborn donkey and try to make it work out somehow to balance both. I already have a several hundred thousand line code drop of something else to do, but alas haven't found the time.
    It's people like you, who do things because they are passionate about that make the world of open source even possible. I'm sure Torvald Linus could make piles of money if he shitcanned all Linux work and focussed on proprietary Unix systems. Pace yourself, put only the time you can afford to into the site, don't let the site turn into a treadmill! I've been there myself with my audio and video work. My friends are back home resting from an event, but I've got three+ hours of video editing to do before I can even think about going to bed. I do it because I care about the people I'm doing it for, and because open-source video editing is one of the more interesting things you can do with these machines. If I get run down I take a break, you should feel free to do the same.

Comment

Description of graphic system

Hello Michael,
      You, as a person which is interested in graphics stack on GNU/Linux and so has a solid knowledge about it, could you write a article (treatise) which would explain this system in some logical manner? Because there is a lot of abbreviation in labelling and other stuff and for beginner in this area it is quite difficult to follow. That would be nice supporting educational material for insight into the problem for novice in this very interesting area.

Thank You.

Comment

Originally posted by L0rdK View Post
        Hello Michael,
        You, as a person which is interested in graphics stack on GNU/Linux and so has a solid knowledge about it, could you write a article (treatise) which would explain this system in some logical manner? Because there is a lot of abbreviation in labelling and other stuff and for beginner in this area it is quite difficult to follow. That would be nice supporting educational material for insight into the problem for novice in this very interesting area.

Thank You.
        Check this: http://blog.mecheye.net/2012/06/the-...raphics-stack/
        But I agree, it would be an interesting article.

Comment

Sorry but what mark_ pointed out is the truth about this site. The website looks unpolished and the quality of articles are going down each day. Less articles, better quality.

I've got the feeling you spend so many hours at phoronix just looking up how to increase the word count of your articles. If you earn money per impression don't make us tired just by reading crap, go the point and stop advertising yourself.

Just learn from the younger linux sites like http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/ or http://www.webupd8.org/ Nice design, rich content, full articles with media included.
          Last edited by alazar; 24 April 2014, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Re: heat+battery tests for normal usage scenario

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
            heat+battery tests for normal usage scenario eg "surf the web over wifi with regular coffee breaks and 60m pause for lunch until the battery dies or uses some fixed power", "power while watching YouTube and using Skype" etc. Something like an updated Power & Memory Usage Of GNOME, KDE, LXDE & Xfce.
            I'd also like to see something along these lines!

Comment

Again, that isn't possible to write less articles and just put more polishing into articles... Not until there's less AdBlockers, more high quality Linux advertisements available, more premium subscribers, etc.
              Have you considered making the articles premium-only for several hours? Publish the links, but non-premium readers get a page "premium only, public in x hours y minutes".

Comment

Originally posted by Spittie View Post
                Check this: http://blog.mecheye.net/2012/06/the-...raphics-stack/
                But I agree, it would be an interesting article.
                Also

Comment

I don't have the resources until the ad blocking is disabled. I've already shown that when there's very fruitful ad campaigns I write more interesting content.
                  AdBlock Plus does not block all ads. It blocks annoying ads but has a whitelist that shows non-obtrusive ads.

Adblock Plus introduces the Acceptable Ads initiative: Support websites that rely on advertising but choose to do it in a nonintrusive way.

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
                  Have you considered making the articles premium-only for several hours? Publish the links, but non-premium readers get a page "premium only, public in x hours y minutes".
                  Yes, this is the model LWN uses.

Comment

Dear Michael I would like to see statistics about market trend of linux systems periodically.

Comment

I'd like to see some stellar functioning system builds. Something to copy that is exceptionally bug and crash free.

Comment

Working...
                      X