Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.0 Is Looking Fantastic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fantastic?

In which part looks fantastic? In comparison to Fedora has fewer packages, older programs, higher price, has small community, worse hardware support, on desktop has worse support from 3rd party (Chrome, Skype supports Fedora, not RHEL). Only good part is really long support. And this is good only for servers.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      In other words... they're reserving their *usable* version of gnome3 to enterprise users. I'd like to see this available in Fedora.... especially by DEFAULT. Might make a default Fedora install *actually usable*.
      Noone is reserving anything. It is a more conservative choice for a conservative distribution. It was available in GNOME upstream and in Fedora before it was included in RHEL. You can use it if you want to.

Comment

Originally posted by Leinad View Post
        In which part looks fantastic? In comparison to Fedora has fewer packages, older programs, higher price, has small community, worse hardware support, on desktop has worse support from 3rd party (Chrome, Skype supports Fedora, not RHEL). Only good part is really long support. And this is good only for servers.
        Unsuprisingly, the parts you mention as RHEL being good for is precisely the market RHEL is primarily designed for. Long term support (including workstations etc) and servers.

Comment

Originally posted by Leinad View Post
          But rock solid stability. (I know I'd never use Fedora for a mission critical production server)

Comment

qemu 2.0 seems to be targeted for inclusion in Fedora 21 and EL7.1.
            Also EPEL7... which would mean that EL7 can get it by a simple "yum --enablerepo=epel [install|update] qemu-kvm"
            ** what this means is that if you want to ride the bleeding edge, you can, and its there for you.
            http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/p...packageID=3685
            It will arrive in RHEL 7.1, but it won't be in EPEL.
            EPEL is only for packages that aren't in EL, not for newer versions of existing packages.

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
              It will arrive in RHEL 7.1, but it won't be in EPEL.
              EPEL is only for packages that aren't in EL, not for newer versions of existing packages.
              Did you bother clicking on the link I added?
              It is *IN* epel-candidate... *ALREADY*.

Changelog * Fri Apr 18 2014 Lubomir Rintel <[email protected]> - 2:2.0.0-1.1 - Build for EPEL7

Comment

Did you bother clicking on the link I added?
                It is *IN* epel-candidate... *ALREADY*.
                That is potentially a bug unless it is a parallel installable package. Pakages in EPEL aren't supposed to replace packages in base.

Comment

The release party should be done in San Jos? de Maipo.

I thought that the "Santiago" codename for RHEL 6 was a coincidence, but now I'm certain there is a Chilean writing those codenames...
                  Last edited by Alejandro Nova; 23 April 2014, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Shell is terrible

Gnome Shell is terrible on desktop PCs.

End of story. The GNOME developers really need to pull their head out of their ass, and realise the mistakes with gnome shell mirror the mistakes that Microsoft has made with Windows 8. Just admit they were wrong and offer the classic mode under a better name as the default option, or make it so on first launch a dialog pops up asking you to choose which one you want. Simple, effective, and will make Linux leap ahead of Windows and OSX. I have a 30" monitor at 2560x1600. There's no way I want to be alt-tab switching between terminals and content creation apps like the gimp. or my C programming and 3d modelling apps. Gnome remains my favourite desktop environment, but I really wish they'd stop trying to push the tablet UI stuff so heavily. Tablet's are not the future. I have an iPad work gave me for free, I barely ever use it. It's a nice browser machine, but for real work, I always jump to my Laptop or Desktop machines. Gnome need to focus more strongly on application stability and feature set. More productivity applications, and less of the tablet stuff. GTK3 is great, I love that you can make gnome applications accessible via a browser. I like how a lot of the gui is now ripping off OSX like the control panel. But I wish they'd stop alienating people with gnome-shell. Same with Ubuntu and their horrible UI. It's not good enough to throw in gnome-classic and say the job is done, they need to promote gnome classic as an equal interface to gnome-shell.

Comment

Yea, Scientific Linux 7.0 is looking nice indeed. For things that need to be solid and not need a reinstall for a long time, it's a really good choice.

Comment

Working...
                      X