Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.0 Is Looking Fantastic

Phoronix: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.0 Is Looking Fantastic

Since yesterday's public availability of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.0 release candidate I have been busy at Phoronix testing out this upcoming release of RHEL codenamed Maipo...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I agree, RHEL7 is looking really good. One of the downsides of the release getting delayed (Red Hat mentioned at their summit that they wanted this out at the end of last year), is that the software is a little older than usual (even for an enterprise release).

Looking at qemu-kvm is quite amusing. Red Hat are the developers of KVM, and yet their yet to be released OS (RHEL7) is running qemu-kvm-1.53, whereas Ubuntu 14.04 is using qemu-kvm-2.0 (and is already out). What does that tell you ? The creators of the project are being cautious, while Ubuntu (who merely compiles someone else's work), is on bleeding edge.
    Food for thought.

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
      I agree, RHEL7 is looking really good. One of the downsides of the release getting delayed (Red Hat mentioned at their summit that they wanted this out at the end of last year), is that the software is a little older than usual (even for an enterprise release).

Looking at qemu-kvm is quite amusing. Red Hat are the developers of KVM, and yet their yet to be released OS (RHEL7) is running qemu-kvm-1.53, whereas Ubuntu 14.04 is using qemu-kvm-2.0 (and is already out). What does that tell you ? The creators of the project are being cautious, while Ubuntu (who merely compiles someone else's work), is on bleeding edge.
      Food for thought.
      A lot will hopefully get bumped by RHEL 7.1
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Like Debian, being conservative on software versions, even the parts they ar the most aware of, is an indicator of the stability they are targetting. It also ensures a better upgrade process for companies that extensively use it, with potentially less quirks to workaround. And also, using a too recent qemu-kvm with an "old" kernel is not necesarily the best choice to get the best of that kernel.

Anyway, it seems real good, when it's out, and CentOS follows, the Red Hat world could make the debianists jealous and want Jessie more and more.

Comment

Personally I loathe Gnome 3. However I think it is sad that even RedHat does not use their ui "innovations", activities screen, no taskbar, no minimize, no shutdown, etc. Keep up the good work guys.

Comment

I bet you can always get those things back if you want/need fany in your environments. Don't forget the first target : professionnal world, even in the "traditional" industry sector. You need to propose a product as clean as functional. Also, as the lower task bar is hinting, you have to assure user experience is not broken with existing user base.

I'm not fond at all about Gnome 3 at all (I'm using KDE on Manjaro Linux), but in the goal of coherent, and rather soft user interface, it does the job. I'm not planning to switch from my current setup, but i'll definitely give it a try in the coming days, to see the progress made.

Comment

Red Hat looks ok... I've never seen any distro looking 'Fantastic'. Windows and IOS are looking fantastic, Linux distro's not that much... not that I care for that.

English is not my first (or second) language, but reading that someone is 'satisfied' normally tells me someone is satisfied with the results of his work. For as far as I know this was not te case here?

"Overall, I'm very satisfied with how it's turned out".

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
                Personally I loathe Gnome 3. However I think it is sad that even RedHat does not use their ui "innovations", activities screen, no taskbar, no minimize, no shutdown, etc. Keep up the good work guys.
                ... You can't possibly compare corporate server and workstation users (RHEL's target user) to desktop users (GNOME shell target user).
                Hence GNOME 3's split personally: Shell and classic.

Personally, I dislike them both (KDE), but that's irrelevant for discussion at hand.

- Gilboa
                oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
                  In other words... they're reserving their *usable* version of gnome3 to enterprise users. I'd like to see this available in Fedora.... especially by DEFAULT. Might make a default Fedora install *actually usable*.

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post

Food for thought.
                    qemu 2.0 seems to be targeted for inclusion in Fedora 21 and EL7.1.
                    Also EPEL7... which would mean that EL7 can get it by a simple "yum --enablerepo=epel [install|update] qemu-kvm"
                    ** what this means is that if you want to ride the bleeding edge, you can, and its there for you.
                    Last edited by droidhacker; 23 April 2014, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X