The Best Features Coming With Qt 5.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fabdiznec View Post
    I can't be arsed to look up the reference, but... it has nothing to do with "bloat" or any such thing. KDE's startup script and kdeinit4 have explicit (but necessary) delays in them to avoid various race conditions during startup -- this is expected to be fixed once KDE starts using systemd "user" sessions for its startup needs.
    Is there a roadmap for the systemd integration? I assume that the systemd integration is all kf5 related, as opposed to kde4?

Another thing: the startup script that we are all talking about is (I think) the kdm session, which I believe is the same session script that is used for the xinit session. Is any of the aforementiond "script trickiness" strictly X related, and so not an impact issue when/if we start to shift away from X based session?

Comment

Originally posted by jaxxed View Post
      Is there a roadmap for the systemd integration? I assume that the systemd integration is all kf5 related, as opposed to kde4?
      KDE SC 4.x will never support wayland. Since the systemD integration will only be for wayland (not X), it will also never appear in KDE SC 4.

Also, it is a workspace change, and KDE SC 4.x workspaces are in feature freeze.

Originally posted by jaxxed View Post
      Another thing: the startup script that we are all talking about is (I think) the kdm session, which I believe is the same session script that is used for the xinit session. Is any of the aforementiond "script trickiness" strictly X related, and so not an impact issue when/if we start to shift away from X based session?
      The script would probably need to be largely rewritten for wayland anyway, and very few, if any, people are comfortable enough with it to want to do any major changes on it.

So in short:

1. KDE SC 4.x: keep the script
      2. Plasma Workspaces 2.x X11: keep the script
      3. Plasma Workspaces 2.x wayland: use systemD.

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
        Qt is very lightweight.
        LXDE is switching to qt.

I'd say it is "relatively lightweight" compared to the alternatives, but certainly not "very lightweight". QObject itself is quite bloated, like 150+ bytes just idling (about the overhead of a JS var), and getting significantly bigger as it gets connections and stuff like that. The framework itself is quite bloated, even with the "modularization" that came with version 5. Even with all the deprecated stuff Qt5 still carries quite a lot of legacy garbage hardly anyone will need in the future.

But still, relative to the competition, one can easily say Qt is the best (available) solution if you care about flexibility, performance and above all - portability. There is something rewarding about witting an application once and getting it to work on like 90% of the devices on the market with little to no porting at all.

Comment

Originally posted by MrRtd View Post
          On KDE, from what I understand, if you go into system settings, session management, and change the on login to Start with empty session, you should see KDE load faster.
          THIS

It should be the default.

Comment

Originally posted by fabdiznec View Post
            I can't be arsed to look up the reference, but... it has nothing to do with "bloat" or any such thing. KDE's startup script and kdeinit4 have explicit (but necessary) delays in them to avoid various race conditions during startup -- this is expected to be fixed once KDE starts using systemd "user" sessions for its startup needs.
            Yes, I remember that article, I also googled for it and coulnd't find it. But a hacker is looking into that. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by MrRtd View Post
              On KDE, from what I understand, if you go into system settings, session management, and change the on login to Start with empty session, you should see KDE load faster.
              Right, yes, I did that some time ago, it is the only thing that makes a difference (disabling start up services in KDE makes no difference for my hardware).

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
                even with the "modularization" that came with version 5
                IIRC that already happend with Qt4. Qt3 was a all-in-one library, Qt4 introduced the concept of modules, each having its own library.

What you might be thinking of is the splitting into different GIT repositories, but that doesn't change anything for runtime.

Cheers,
                _

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
                  IIRC that already happend with Qt4. Qt3 was a all-in-one library, Qt4 introduced the concept of modules, each having its own library.

What you might be thinking of is the splitting into different GIT repositories, but that doesn't change anything for runtime.

Cheers,
                  _
                  the modularisation of KDE rather than QT is what he referes to i think.

Comment

Working...
                  X