Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ryszardzonk View Post
    All that is good and stuff, but:
    - how have the code survived in such a manner for all that time? If someone complained have they actually write patches to the code to fix that?
    Good question. Backwards compatibility must of been king because they did allot of bad coding practices in order to maintain compatibility with really antique systems. That is the reason they had their own implementation of malloc, which is why automated testing tools didn't detect the heartbleed bug. (I am really curious as to the reason someone re-implemented printf in the OpenSSL code)

Hopefully after OpenBSD gets done modernizing and simplifying the core code they will start working together on system support with a sane compatibility layer system. Either way, my hat off to the OpenBSD guys for taking on this much needed task.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
      I don't see what's the issue with GnuTLS either. OpenBSD doesn't consider copyleft software free software, I think.
      Besides the licensing issue which is a big deal for OS's other than Linux another issue is the lack of support for GnuTLS or any other toolkit. Forking OpenSSL to provide a mostly OpenSSL compatible API is critical.

Comment

The licence states that forks cannot be named with the word "OpenSSL" included. But OpenTLS or BSDSSL/BSDTLS would've worked.
        Ok. OpenTLS is a better name.

Forking OpenSSL to provide a mostly OpenSSL compatible API is critical.
        No because the devs of OpenSSL do not have secure good code in mind or they are just not as good as the openbsd folks. Also some people committing to OpenSSL may be working for someone else and can not be really trusted.

Comment

I was going to comment on this, and realized that this thread was beyond the help of any sane and reasonable individual.

Do you guys get paid to toll this forum? Seriously, what gives?

Comment

Originally posted by russofris View Post
            I was going to comment on this, and realized that this thread was beyond the help of any sane and reasonable individual.

Do you guys get paid to toll this forum? Seriously, what gives?
            This whole forum is beyond help of any sane and reasonable individual. It's mostly full of crazy ass fucks that more often than not have no idea what they're talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post
              This whole forum is beyond help of any sane and reasonable individual. It's mostly full of crazy ass fucks that more often than not have no idea what they're talking about.
              I agree, but I also want to point out that most likely anyone who does post here even after realizing this forum is full of clueless crazy ass fucks most likely also fit that description. You are one of us, brad0! One of us! We belong here!

Comment

Originally posted by Serge View Post
                I agree, but I also want to point out that most likely anyone who does post here even after realizing this forum is full of clueless crazy ass fucks most likely also fit that description. You are one of us, brad0! One of us! We belong here!
                Hell no. I avoid this forum like the plague because of how fucked up it is. Even reading Michael's pathetic posts on Moronix is bad enough.

Comment

Hell no. I avoid this forum like the plague because of how fucked up it is. Even reading Michael's pathetic posts on Moronix is bad enough.
                  Yeah, but the commenters here seem to view "to fork" as some derogatory, profane, and harmful action. It's difficult for civil discourse to exist when there's such a grand misunderstanding.

The reality is that this is a natural and progressive part of the software ecosystem. Much of the software I'm using to make this post (OS, Browser) was a 'fork' of some prior piece of software. Much of the software and infrastructure used to host this forum was a fork of some previous software as well.

Haters need to stop hating.

Comment

You say that like you have to be here and yet you come here to say that you avoid things here.
                    I don't know where the stupid begins.

Comment

Originally posted by russofris View Post
                      Yeah, but the commenters here seem to view "to fork" as some derogatory, profane, and harmful action. It's difficult for civil discourse to exist when there's such a grand misunderstanding.

The reality is that this is a natural and progressive part of the software ecosystem. Much of the software I'm using to make this post (OS, Browser) was a 'fork' of some prior piece of software. Much of the software and infrastructure used to host this forum was a fork of some previous software as well.

Haters need to stop hating.
                      I agree. Although I don't like forks, the OpenBSD devs' hands were tied. Because MS or Apple either create the software themselves or keep internal forks. They are not going to sit tight and accept dangerous code from a third party. No one does that.

Comment

Working...
                      X