Thread: Clang Fights GCC On AMD's Athlon AM1 APU With Jaguar Cores

Hybrid View

Default Clang Fights GCC On AMD's Athlon AM1 APU With Jaguar Cores

Phoronix: Clang Fights GCC On AMD's Athlon AM1 APU With Jaguar Cores

A few days ago I did my latest benchmarks of GCC vs. LLVM/Clang and that was using an Intel Core i7 4770K "Haswell" processor. The tables have now turned and in this article are GCC vs. LLVM Clang benchmarks of the AMD Athlon 5350 APU with four Jaguar CPU cores.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=20248

How I see compiler benchmarks these days

It would be a better idea to compile full-featured programs and games instead of synthetic benchmarks (compilation time + run-time performance).

Quote Originally Posted by Calinou View Post
    It would be a better idea to compile full-featured programs and games instead of synthetic benchmarks (compilation time + run-time performance).
    Timed compilation of the common subset of the GCC & Clang compilable-software of the whole Debian archive, followed by latency (latencytop anyone?) and performance tests

Quote Originally Posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
    Timed compilation of the common subset of the GCC & Clang compilable-software of the whole Debian archive, followed by latency (latencytop anyone?) and performance tests
    Don't forget the comparison against an infinite group of monkeys with keyboards simultaneously writing hamlet, and the binary versions of the compiled code for the debian archive. Whether the monkeys target -march=native, or just -O2 is an exercise left to the reader.

Quote Originally Posted by Veerappan View Post
    Don't forget the comparison against an infinite group of monkeys with keyboards simultaneously writing hamlet, and the binary versions of the compiled code for the debian archive. Whether the monkeys target -march=native, or just -O2 is an exercise left to the reader.
    You guys are so silly. Monkeys can't code you need to get a Siberian Husky to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Veerappan View Post
    I guess an architecture might be conceivable (by the same monkeys, at the same time), where -O2 == -march=native

Quote Originally Posted by Calinou View Post
    I recently ran Firefox benchmarks on AMD hardware http://hubicka.blogspot.ca/2014/04/l...2-firefox.html