Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Will Soon Probably Introduce OpenCL 1.2 Linux Support

Phoronix: NVIDIA Will Soon Probably Introduce OpenCL 1.2 Linux Support

It looks like NVIDIA is finally preparing to support OpenCL 1.2 within their NVIDIA Linux graphics driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And by the way OpenCL on Nvidia is really bad. I mean a $200 R9 270 performs better in OpenCL than even the highest end Nvidia card. Why would anyone even use Nvidia for OpenCL workloads.

Comment

Originally posted by SangeetKhatri View Post
      And by the way OpenCL on Nvidia is really bad. I mean a $200 R9 270 performs better in OpenCL than even the highest end Nvidia card. Why would anyone even use Nvidia for OpenCL workloads.
      Bingo. By the way, they don't have OpenCL 1.2 certified support for Windows.

Meanwhile, OpenCL 2.x is on the verge of being ready for AMD and Apple [WWDC]. Considering OpenCL 2.0 was released July 13, 2013, I wonder if they'll just both leap to 2.1 when it's announced in August [assuming the yearly update schedule continues].

Comment

Then again... why would anybody even use OpenCL?

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
          Then again... why would anybody even use OpenCL?
          Because it's the only really portable API to take advantage of GPUs and accelerators? What are you suggesting people use instead?

Comment

Originally posted by TechMage89 View Post
            Because it's the only really portable API to take advantage of GPUs and accelerators? What are you suggesting people use instead?
            Well duh, did you forget about the most amazing technology in the world for GPGPU, CUDA?!

Grabs popcorn

Comment

I think that the result depends a lot on the type of workload you give to your HW. AMD HW are known to be beast for Integer crunching which is why it is it is the choice #1 for crypto currencies mining.

If you are doing floating point based computations I would not say that NVIDIA HW is not good. Besides, there is this open bug on Catalyst:

It was present in 14.3. I will check if it has been fixed in 14.4 but basically for serious computation not being able to use more than 1 card is a big problem.

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
                Well duh, did you forget about the most amazing technology in the world for GPGPU, CUDA?!
                Some of the cluetards around here might think you're actually being serious.

Comment

NVIDIA Will Soon Probably Introduce OpenCL 1.2 Linux Support
                  And the award for vaguest headline goes to....

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post
                    Some of the cluetards around here might think you're actually being serious.
                    I lolled on this. Seriously CUDA is a mess right now, which is the reason why almost everything is moving towards OpenCL. No one uses CUDA other than some big companies because they do not work on every kind of hardware instead they work only on Nvidia cards who by the way charges a premium for their cards.

AMD and OpenCL are way better currently.

Comment

Working...
                    X