No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 14.4 Brings Full OpenGL 4.4 Support To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about performance in games? Any known and tested? I hope small boost on HD5000 series.

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post
      Hopefully we'll get kernel 3.15 and ubuntu 14.04 LTS support in the next version
      Ubuntu 14.04 LTS works fine with AMD Catalyst 14.4. The packaging scripts have some bugs, so you might need to manually install "xserver-xorg-dev" and "dh-modaliases" packages before installing.

Originally posted by geekaia View Post
      the game Bittrip Runner 2: future legend is not working appropriately
      Just played it, runs fine on my HD 6870.

Originally posted by xpris View Post
      What about performance in games? Any known and tested? I hope small boost on HD5000 series.
      With my HD 6870, I see some improvements in Team Fortress 2 (Source Engine). Short stuttering during heavy gameplay is gone and the FPS don't jump around as much as before. However, that is with AntiAliasing and Vsync off. Both options are still unusable and will lag like crazy for me.

Comment

dota 2 works well without vsync, chrome works well with gpu aceleration, and no more memory leaks with my apu a8 5600k

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
          Ubuntu 14.04 LTS works fine with AMD Catalyst 14.4. The packaging scripts have some bugs, so you might need to manually install "xserver-xorg-dev" and "dh-modaliases" packages before installing.

Just played it, runs fine on my HD 6870.

With my HD 6870, I see some improvements in Team Fortress 2 (Source Engine). Short stuttering during heavy gameplay is gone and the FPS don't jump around as much as before. However, that is with AntiAliasing and Vsync off. Both options are still unusable and will lag like crazy for me.

works, but after some time it crashes

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Chelsea LP [Radeon HD 7730M]

works, but after some time it

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
            I am curious if the new R9 295X is unworkable in Linux on the OSS drivers because of lack of crossfire.

Or more accurately, would one-half of R9 295X not work? (the second chip)
            You would probably see both cards, they just wouldn't be able to share workloads.

It gets me thinking, though, it should be an objective of Mesa to, in the same way they have offloading, enable sharing workloads. It could start with symmetric devices, but I could see them trumping all the proprietary multigpu solutions in no time the same way DRI_PRIME did for gpu switching.

Comment

Those who have problems, I recommend sticking with Stable release right now. I am using the previous 14.3 Beta and it works flawlessly on my AMD APU rig and the earlier problems I had with the Stable are now gone and the smoothness of the window transitions are now matched by the Open Source drivers of AMD, so AMD is finally taking a much needed step in the right direction with their proprietary drivers.

I had some problems with the Stable catalyst drivers. They were really slow when it came to actual gaming. I was not able to even play Half Life 2 at the best settings. I was able to play at 720p without Anti Aliasing and still had some input lag but now with the 14.3 Beta, I am running at 1080p with 8x AA and no input lag whatsoever.

AMD is finally taking a step in the right direction, but still if I had to buy a new GPU for gaming, then I would still prefer the Nvidia 750 Ti over the R7-260x at the moment. Probably something else in the future because AMD is going bright currently. It probably has something to do with SteamOS.

Comment

I hope they add VDPAU video acceleration soon. It's mind-boggling how VDPAU support is already available for the free drivers but Catalyst is still stuck with xvba...

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
                  I am curious if the new R9 295X is unworkable in Linux on the OSS drivers because of lack of crossfire.

Or more accurately, would one-half of R9 295X not work? (the second chip)
                  Nah the drivers just aren't ready yet. AMD uses an internal crossfire bridge on their dual cards.

Comment

Now all AMD needs is their merged driver and gaming on Linux will finally arrive with Cryengine. Gonna be a very good year for linux.

Comment

Does "Sir, you're being hunted" work? I don't want to install catalyst again just to see it is still crap. . .

Comment

Working...
                      X