Thread: X.Org, Mesa, Wayland Have Interesting Summer Projects

Default X.Org, Mesa, Wayland Have Interesting Summer Projects

Phoronix: X.Org, Mesa, Wayland Have Interesting Summer Projects

Google has published today their list of accepted student proposals for various open-source organizations to work on this summer... The X.Org Foundation work, which includes work to Mesa and Wayland, has seven projects to be tackled...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY2OTU

Tessellation shaders, that's a big one. I kinda doubt it'll get done in the allotted time frame. Would be cool though.

I kind of want to go "oh great, another compositing window manager".

If it is good enough, maybe LXDE will adopt it with their qt transition. I'm unaware of any efforts to make openbox a Wayland compositor, since it isn't a compositor anyway.

Though I'd personally rather see Kwin be refactored with any innovations here than have two Qt based window managers. It should be feasible to have a core that is efficient and light, with a sufficiently broad plugin abstraction to enable all the effects that go into making something like Kwin fully featured.

Mr. Stephen "Wacom for Wayland" Paul please be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    Mr. Stephen "Wacom for Wayland" Paul please be successful.
    Wasn't this just done an article ago? GNOME Developer Adds Tablet Support To Wayland's Libinput

Quote Originally Posted by FourDMusic View Post
    Wasn't this just done an article ago? GNOME Developer Adds Tablet Support To Wayland's Libinput
    Those patches are for libinput, but we are still missing all Wayland'y bits completely, like the whole protocol for tablets. In other words, even if compositor could read tablet devices by using libinput, it still has no way to give those events to applications. I don't know if the GSoC is only about libinput, or does it include Wayland too.

Quote Originally Posted by pq__ View Post
    Those patches are for libinput, but we are still missing all Wayland'y bits completely, like the whole protocol for tablets. In other words, even if compositor could read tablet devices by using libinput, it still has no way to give those events to applications. I don't know if the GSoC is only about libinput, or does it include Wayland too.
    Ahhh, sweet! Thx for clearing that up.