No announcement yet.

Nuclear Dawn Update Has Full Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The price got a 75% cut in a Week Long Deal Steam campaign up to April 28 !

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      That's easy to say if you have a single high-end GPU. But you get significantly better distribution of resources if you have 2 GPUs designated for different purposes but work toward a common goal. You lower the efficiency dramatically when you have 1 piece of hardware calculate 2 "unrelated" sets of instructions at the same time, because as far as I'm aware, a GPU can't calculate both the graphics and physics within the same clock; it must do them on separate cycles. That being said, if you have a physically separate processor for just physics, you get real fully parallel calculations, offering a higher theoretical maximum frame rate. A modern IGP (intel or AMD) is perfectly fine for most physics calculations and would put good use to a GPU that most people may have go to waste.
      I think you're missing my point.
      I thought you were taking about physx going away. I was responding to that, mostly. How it's implemented on any particular system is dependent on what hardware is available, obviously. So, in the not too distant future I'd expect engines to take incorporate opencl to offload the physics add the system is capable. So, if there's only one GPU and a relatively weak CPU it didn't have much choice. If there are a couple of GPUs then you might end up with something like you have in mind.
      The point is that just because physx is going away doesn't mean we still lose the ability to do pretty accurate simulations.

Comment

On steam vdeos appears to be better than the specific video on phoronix... this game is also tactitcal and it is very cheap.

I hope on opengl physical driver used by ageia pci or pcie cards. Obviously I don't know if it is possible.
        Last edited by Azrael5; 21 April 2014, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Why do you people keep buying proprietary hardware to run proprietary vendor specific software on? Don't you know better by now?
          /troll

Comment

Indeed, with Bullet getting better and better OpenCL support, where's the pros for proprietary physics systems?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
              Why do you people keep buying proprietary hardware to run proprietary vendor specific software on? Don't you know better by now?
              /troll
              because it is possible to use open drivers on proprietary hardware.

Comment

I just bought it! It's only ?2.49 right now, so more or less free. Since I got my Radeon 290 yesterdar, it will be interesting to test it! Too bad my Gentoo system doesn't even boot with it, neither with the FOSS drivers nor Catalyst 14.4 Beta.

Comment

Working...
                X