No announcement yet.

Gigabyte AM1M-S2H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good question about the heat sink. My guess would be that they expect the boards to go into compact enclosures. A heat sink can make a big difference in such an enclosure.

As to the ITE chip, maybe Micheal can work up a list of boards without this chip. On the other hand you can't expect instant support for new hardware. Maybe Phoronix needs a compatibility test and report. It has already been demonstrated that these boards need the newest kernels. & etc.

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
    The capture of the output from "sensors-detect", even in it's "short form" that avoids "poking sensitive chips" on certain video cards & chipsets, would provide some insight into this unknown ITE chip.

The "sensors-detect" method is easier and less likely to void product warranties, assuming Michael bought the board rather than it being a "review sample", than asking Michael to peel off the heatsink that hides the ITE super I/O chip.

Now that comment begs another question: "Why does a super I/O chip even need a heat sink when most if not all boards that I have seen in recent memory lack such items on those same types of chips?" The circuit diagram in the more densely illustrated and commented online PDF manual does not hint at any extra functions in this chip.

Comment

2 SATA ports, eh?

First I was like "oh this AM1 thing look great for a low-powered thing to replace the motherboard/CPU in my NAS/firewall 24/7 box" but then

> 2 SATA ports

not even enough for RAID5.

The low power-usage would make the AM1 platform a really great choice for NAS systems and small servers and media players and such but *2* SATA ports makes it a non-choice and that's kind of sad.

Comment

does it support other power sources? say, notebook power adapters...

Comment

Originally posted by xiando View Post
          First I was like "oh this AM1 thing look great for a low-powered thing to replace the motherboard/CPU in my NAS/firewall 24/7 box" but then

> 2 SATA ports
          You can't have everything. I still mis the parallel port on hardware these days as it is awesome for hacking, CNC and machine control. However these days that means an extended product via an expansion board.
          not even enough for RAID5.
          Mirrored RAID might be viable. This assuming that you can plug in a big enough flash drive into one of the other ports. It does make you wonder what people where thinking though, especially with the other supported ports included.

ASrock has a board with 4 SATA ports and a Mini PCI Express slot. So if you can find a SSD that fits in the Mini PCI Express slot you could easily make a nice 4 device raided NAS. As a side note this makes me wonder about what the chip really supports SATA wise.
          The low power-usage would make the AM1 platform a really great choice for NAS systems and small servers and media players and such but *2* SATA ports makes it a non-choice and that's kind of sad.
          One shouldn't be that sad as there are many boards out there supporting AM1 now. It is just a matter of choosing the right one for your projects.

Comment

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
            does it support other power sources? say, notebook power adapters...
            A quick look on Newegg will show you a number of boards some of which do have DC input. Unfortunately the specs aren't well done. I'd really want to see a DC input solution that can handle 24VDC as that is an extremely common power supply size in the industrial world.

In any even shop around, lots of options out there.

Comment

Hi, i have some questions, the second photo of the BIOS show options to overclock graphics clock and northbridge frecuency, can this options works or have no effect, and can you tell me if this Gygabyte is equal to the Asus you tested before and permit change Cpu ratio from 20.5 to 21

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
                The capture of the output from "sensors-detect", even in it's "short form" that avoids "poking sensitive chips" on certain video cards & chipsets, would provide some insight into this unknown ITE chip.

The "sensors-detect" method is easier and less likely to void product warranties, assuming Michael bought the board rather than it being a "review sample", than asking Michael to peel off the heatsink that hides the ITE super I/O chip.

Now that comment begs another question: "Why does a super I/O chip even need a heat sink when most if not all boards that I have seen in recent memory lack such items on those same types of chips?" The circuit diagram in the more densely illustrated and commented online PDF manual does not hint at any extra functions in this chip.
                Someone remove that heatsink and it is iTE IT8620E under it - one of not supported under linux... maybe that is a reason to hide it .

Comment

Working...
                X