Thread: The Most Amazing OpenGL Tech Demo In 64kb

Quote Originally Posted by blackshard View Post
    We all descend from monkeys.
    Are we monkeys?
    Do we behave like monkeys?

I don't think so...
    Are you a creationist?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
    Those waves aren't remotely realistic, nor is the light dispersion fields. Marble texturing is not hard. Actually showing a natural wear and uneven surface detail is hard.
    i didn't say waves were realistic, but that they are smooth

and ye, i know
    was blowing things bit out of proportion intentionally
    it's kinda hard to explain to people that this can't be compared to a big game
    (since big games carry with them gigabytes of textures and lots of fairly complex models; also that this is mainly a tech demo)

Quote Originally Posted by dungeon View Post
    Seems to me that Intel guys are right not to touch that thing called llvm .
    Uh... Because of a lacking feature?

Tom Stellart already had it implemented, but it's not upstream, I think because it wasn't well tested: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=75276

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdinand View Post
    Are you a creationist?
    So, you're a monkey? As far as I know they can't write such cool demos.

I always wonder how they get this in 64K. I remember Farbrausch demos and others, it is all very impressing.
    Okay, for one part they rely on the driver and built in GPU capabilities. You can't compare it with 64 K demos from C64 times where you had to do everything by hand probably. Still this is huge content for 64K. And I guess they use a mathmatical model for the textures. A one line formula that describes the texture, not an actual painted texture. And some built in font for the letters maybe? Then you also have to press in the music, yes, it is likely chiptune but still it needs space. Yes, and good compression but this compression must be really good. And they know how to structure their data for best compression.
    It IS awesome. And I am happy to see that the demo scene is still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by blackshard View Post
    We all descend from monkeys.
    Are we monkeys?
    Do we behave like monkeys?

I don't think so...
    Locking you up for a week or so in a dark room should more or less make you one! Have you taken a psychology course before? We have basic instincts exactly like many other animals have. Some people do behave like monkeys, just look at Tom Cruise getting excited during Oprah.

Maybe 640kb indeed ought to be enough for everyone?!

Outside of the lighting it actually looks kinda bad

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
    Then you must not pay attention to all the Intel Code Submissions on LLVM/Clang.
    Intel guys also made and contribute to glamor accel, but not use it , etc...

So i mean for the intel gpu driver works... Ian wrote:

"We're absolutely not interested in anything involving LLVM. We've tried, several times, to make it work, and it has always ended with a table-flip-rage-quit."
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTU5NjQ

Quote Originally Posted by Adarion View Post
    Okay, for one part they rely on the driver and built in GPU capabilities. And I guess they use a mathmatical model for the textures. A one line formula that describes the texture, not an actual painted texture. And some built in font for the letters maybe? Then you also have to press in the music, yes, it is likely chiptune but still it needs space. Yes, and good compression but this compression must be really good.
    opengl helper functions, like the camera control, are still in libgl, even thou they have been deprecated in more recent versions
    generated textures, yes, like the church windows are Voronoi
    font.. probably a system one

first thing the program does is decompress itself (Huffman coding is simple, even LZMA or DEFLATE decoders arn't that heavy in code)
    thanks to everybody ignoring the NX bit, things like this can be done (i'm actually glad nobody is using it but security people confuse me. since the NX bit is actually very useful for security)

also helps that raytracing is a simple thing (if this is proper raytracing, cba to check)
    Last edited by gens; 04-21-2014 at 10:25 AM.