Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AmazonBasics External USB 2.0 DVD Writer For Linux

Default AmazonBasics External USB 2.0 DVD Writer For Linux

Phoronix: AmazonBasics External USB 2.0 DVD Writer For Linux

Those in need of an affordable external DVD writer that's USB 2.0 based and will work with Linux, Amazon has a simple yet reliable and Linux-friendly slim external DVD burner that doesn't cost too much...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY2ODU

More great Linux news every day.
    I'll be sure to buy this specific one when I do my system upgrade for Star Citizen and Kingdom Come Deliverance.

I wouldn't buy it simply because it's Amazon branded. You can get a way nicer looking USB Samsung DVD burner for $2 more, a just-as-good looking for $1 less, and an even cheaper (by $5) Buffalo one that even has a convenient place to tuck in the USB cord. This is all on Amazon, of course, so you should go to your local store instead and pick one up for likely a few bucks more.

Quote Originally Posted by molecule-eye View Post
    I wouldn't buy it simply because it's Amazon branded.
    If that's really it, that is a shitty reason.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDMusic View Post
    If that's really it, that is a shitty reason.
    One couldn't have a better reason. But did you read my post? Bcause I gave a few other reasons not to buy it in case you didn't like the one very compelling reason I gave.

One couldn't have a better reason. But did you read my post? Bcause I gave a few other reasons not to buy it in case you didn't like the one very compelling reason I gave.
    Yes, I did. It seems like your reasons are simply cosmetic.

My preference would be an Apple USB SuperDrive. (Laughs) Sure, it's about $70 to $80, but I'm in it for fashion -- something when it comes to buying an iMac to compliment with my Linux machine running elementaryOS Luna.

I wouldn't buy it simply because it's Amazon branded. You can get a way nicer looking USB Samsung DVD burner for $2 more, a just-as-good looking for $1 less, and an even cheaper (by $5) Buffalo one that even has a convenient place to tuck in the USB cord. This is all on Amazon, of course, so you should go to your local store instead and pick one up for likely a few bucks more.
    I've had one of the Samsung slim optical drives for 3 years now, thing is great. I'd never get an internal disc drive bay over one, since you can just have one and use it on any system you need it.

A bit off topic, but does anyone have experience playing blu-rays on Linux? I've been thinking about getting an internal blu-ray player, but wanted to know how well it worked on Linux before putting down the money.

Quote Originally Posted by zanny View Post
    I've had one of the Samsung slim optical drives for 3 years now, thing is great. I'd never get an internal disc drive bay over one, since you can just have one and use it on any system you need it.
    True. The days of internal optical drive are finally over.