No announcement yet.

AMD's New Athlon/Semprons Give Old Phenom CPUs A Big Run For The Money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael, which connector you use on AM1 (VGA, DVI, DP, HDMI)? I having some vertical transparent lines when i use DVI (VGA is OK) when i testing games but only with one particular resolution - 1024x768@fullscreen . And that can not be seen on screenshot
    Last edited by dungeon; 20 April 2014, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      Michael, which connector you use on AM1 (VGA, DVI, DP, HDMI)? I having some vertical transparent lines when i use DVI (VGA is OK) when i testing games but only with one particular resolution - 1024x768@fullscreen . And that can not be seen on screenshot
      Hmm DVI does not like 1024x768@60Hz fullscreen ( it is not just when playing games, but anyhow when i set that particular resolution - so that needs to be fixed) , but on the same resolution@75Hz all is good .

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
        FYI, you don't need to do that at all. K10 CPUs implement p-state switching in hardware. The responsible model-specific registers can easily be reprogrammed from userspace, and the kernel cpufreq governor will still work as before. Tools like TurionPowerControl or k10ctl allow you to do it.
        Thanks, I'll look into that. I'm pretty sure the tools weren't around when I first merged the phc driver. Doesn't seem to be anything in portage, so I guess I'll be adding something new to my overlay...

EDIT: Even better I can use my VIDs from PHC directly with k10ctl
        Last edited by s_j_newbury; 20 April 2014, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          Let's see:

AMD Phenom X4 9500:
          Frequency: 2200MHz
          Cores: 4
          Cache: 4MB
          Introduction date: Nov 19, 2007

AMD Athlon 5350:
          CPU Frequency: 2050MHz
          Cores: 4
          Cache: 2MB
          Introduction date: March, 2014

In most tests the old Phenom is a lot faster than the new Athlon (sometimes twice as fast, e.g. in John the Ripper:md5), i.e. AMD's CPUs IPC hasn't really improved for seven years. Meanwhile Intel's CPUs sport almost 50% improvement in IPC.

At least TDP has improved considerably (25W vs 65W), but that's not a relief when competitor's CPUs run 30-100% faster depending on tests.
          That isn't the point of these comparisons. Further these chips are designed to compete against Atom which they do fairly well.

Some times reading for content is advisable.

Comment

Bloody hell, my big box has an X3 710 in it and these things almost match it on x264??
            That's what my box does, sit there and encode and serve video and host VMs.
            And the heat sink required to cool quietly is the size of a house.

Can these little things do device virtualization? (AMD IOMMU, Intel VT-d)

Comment

Working...
            X