Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eRacks Keeps Pushing Linux, Open-Source Systems After 15 Years

Phoronix: eRacks Keeps Pushing Linux, Open-Source Systems After 15 Years

One of the newer supports of Phoronix.com is eRacks, a company specializing in open-source systems -- primarily rackmounts and other high performance hardware -- since 1999...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

along with popular BSD operating systems like NetBSD and FreeBSD.
    Correction:
    along with unpopular BSD operating systems like NetBSD and FreeBSD.

Comment

Originally posted by endman View Post
      Correction:
      along with unpopular BSD operating systems like NetBSD and FreeBSD.
      hmm right
      the popular BSD is OSX

Comment

Originally posted by benalib View Post
        hmm right
        the popular BSD is OSX
        BSD doesn't get credit for OSX.

BSD license means the work belongs to Apple.

Also OSX is not just BSD. Mach also bent over for Apple. One can argue that OSX's success is mostly due to Mach not BSD.
        Last edited by endman; 19 April 2014, 07:32 AM.

Comment

I do not suggest dealing with this company. A family member of mine ordered a computer through them and they never delivered it(said was backordered) and have stopped responding to any of thier messages and attempts to contact. Still nothing about 2 year later. This is not how a good business should act. Complaint has been filed with the BBB. There are other vendors which handle hardware for linux/other OS that can handle you better than eRacks has.

Comment

Nice to read this

First off, I am glad eRacks is onboard. Second, oh the memories. Back in the day (circa 10 to 15 years ago) when I was working as a research scientist, I would always need either a Linux Workstation or a Workstation type Laptop (hardware compatibility was not nearly as good as now, so buying preinstalled was even more important than now, let alone avoiding stupid software licenses you didn't need). At the time, eRacks was one of the standard vendors. I also think they were one of the standard vendors for supercomputer racks for research.

Anyways, it's good to see them doing well, I believe the cloud is a boom for them, and for Linux as well, frankly. But I wanted to say thank you for supporting Sofware Libre at a time a few did, commercially.

Comment

They had a pretty banner ad last night in the green site header

Featured a soft-focus closeup of the hotswap doors in one of their mass-storage racks. That's what I mean by magazine-style ads that amount to bonus content. It was artistic and reminded me of an old UbuntuStudio wallpaper that was a shot of a sound mixing board shot essentially the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                Featured a soft-focus closeup of the hotswap doors in one of their mass-storage racks. That's what I mean by magazine-style ads that amount to bonus content. It was artistic and reminded me of an old UbuntuStudio wallpaper that was a shot of a sound mixing board shot essentially the same way.

This? Yes, that's their current ad. It's shown to those with JavaScript-disabled / NoScript, from the US, and about 1-in-8 times.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

That's the one

Originally posted by Michael View Post

This? Yes, that's their current ad. It's shown to those with JavaScript-disabled / NoScript, from the US, and about 1-in-8 times.
                  Very nice job, and displayable on secured browsers to boot. Most of the time I get the ad for Phoronix Test Suite or nothing. There was one bug in the ad: with JavaScript off by default, clicking on it generated no response, I had to cut and paste the URL to check out the site. Turning on Javascript and reloading made the image disappear.

I just wish there were more companies selling "open source systems" and willing to pony up for ads on Phoronix, the perfect place to reach open-source system users. If I walk into Micro Center, the closest thing to an open source system you will find there is Chrome OS or Android. When I got a netbook there they caught a break when I got an "odds and ends" refurbished one with a broken Windows install. Desktops I build myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                    Very nice job, and displayable on secured browsers to boot. Most of the time I get the ad for Phoronix Test Suite or nothing. There was one bug in the ad: with JavaScript off by default, clicking on it generated no response, I had to cut and paste the URL to check out the site. Turning on Javascript and reloading made the image disappear.

I just wish there were more companies selling "open source systems" and willing to pony up for ads on Phoronix, the perfect place to reach open-source system users. If I walk into Micro Center, the closest thing to an open source system you will find there is Chrome OS or Android. When I got a netbook there they caught a break when I got an "odds and ends" refurbished one with a broken Windows install. Desktops I build myself.
                    Sadly this current eRacks campaign barely covers enough to cover one day of expenses (not covering my time involved) for Phoronix.com, while the campaign itself runs for about two weeks. But is a new campaign style for targeting just NoScript users so that they're the only featured advertiser on each page and hopefully will be mutually beneficial in some way but still does nothing for those that feel serving simple PNG/JPG images on the site is somehow a viable business model while the (albeit more intrusive) welcome screen campaigns, etc, yield at least 20x more.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X