Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
    Wouldn't have happened (legally) with GPL
    Actually it would have happened in exactly the same way.

Apple release the source code to their XNU kernel - but porting it to FreeBSD isn't as easy as you think. Though the two share a lot of code, the entire lower half and driver model of Apple's XNU is different to FreeBSD. It's not some copy and paste job.

In re porting from Linux: The DRI stack is BSD licensed; this was agreed back in the XFree86 days as a means of allowing Linux, the BSDs, and Solaris to combine their efforts in driver support.

Comment

Originally posted by Spectre View Post
      I read they're updating the so called "linuxator" from the current fedora 10 base installation. This was in attempt to try make the linux version of steam work. I wonder how well, if possible, freebsd would be able to run linux games?
      hopefully as good as this
      Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

or this
      Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
        hopefully as good as this

or this
        http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...8_ubuntu&num=1
        Impressive. I wonder what's causing it.

Comment

Originally posted by JX8p View Post
          Probably none. ASLR isn't really a big deal. It wouldn't have saved you from Heartbleed.
          Wrong,

ASLR solves almost all of the loopholes which exists in SSP, NX, W^X, ExecSheld and Libsafe. ASLR is a very big thing and FreeBSD is therefore a big blunder. OpenBSD only randomizes the top of thier stack which is not effective.

Linux however, randomizes thier entire address space (Stack, Heap etc.).
          Last edited by endman; 19 April 2014, 05:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
            Impressive. I wonder what's causing it.
            This an unfair benckmark. PCBSD used an old version of KDE while Unbuntu used the lastest Unity interface which slowed it down. Know with the slow, bloated ZFS, the results will be very different. And I mean very very different.
            Last edited by endman; 19 April 2014, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Please don't feed the troll: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/profi...ignore&u=77586

Comment

Originally posted by Szzz View Post
                How can they port something from Linux if they want everything to be BSD-licensed and Linux is GPL?
                They want everything possible to be BSD, but rewriting the kernel driver? Probably way too expensive both time-wise and financially for them to even consider it.

On a side-note: The out-of-kernel portions of the GPU drivers are almost all under the MIT license, so those would be fine
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by endman View Post
                  Wrong,

ASLR solves almost all of the loopholes which exists in SSP, NX, W^X, ExecSheld and Libsafe. ASLR is a very big thing and FreeBSD is therefore a big blunder. OpenBSD only randomizes the top of thier stack which is not effective.

Linux however, randomizes thier entire address space (Stack, Heap etc.).

So STFU.

Comment

Working...
                  X