Thread: Running The Unity 8 Preview Session On Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Default Running The Unity 8 Preview Session On Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Phoronix: Running The Unity 8 Preview Session On Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Today Ubuntu 14.04 LTS is being released and you might be tempted to try out Mir with their Unity 8 mobile/converged UI.....

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY2NjQ

Default Director

"Olli Ries, one of the developers at Canonical that's long been involved with the Mir display server efforts for Ubuntu,..."

Director of engineering rather

Quote Originally Posted by om26er View Post
    "Olli Ries, one of the developers at Canonical that's long been involved with the Mir display server efforts for Ubuntu,..."

Director of engineering rather
    Great there is Unity.

How recent was it that they were talking about Mir / Unity 8 being ready for this release? Doesn't seem like it was that long ago?

oh, so this is the same as what you get when you use Ubuntu Touch?
    I just tried it yesterday (Ubuntu Touch on my Nexus 7), and while it got much better than the last time I tried it, I still find it pretty meh. Both the concept and the realization. It's still pretty buggy, but understandable as it's not a release. But I don't like the UI, Sailfish seems to use swipes much better.

Nice to know that you can install with the cli, I wonder if I can do the same over adb or similar (since there isn't a terminal by default, it seems). It was pretty sad to see only a browser and a setting screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Spittie View Post
    oh, so this is the same as what you get when you use Ubuntu Touch?
    I just tried it yesterday (Ubuntu Touch on my Nexus 7), and while it got much better than the last time I tried it, I still find it pretty meh. Both the concept and the realization. It's still pretty buggy, but understandable as it's not a release. But I don't like the UI, Sailfish seems to use swipes much better.

Nice to know that you can install with the cli, I wonder if I can do the same over adb or similar (since there isn't a terminal by default, it seems). It was pretty sad to see only a browser and a setting screen.
    Why would you think of adb on your Desktop? You can either ssh into the machine (if ssh is enabled) or do the changes from another session or VT.

Quote Originally Posted by olli View Post
    Why would you think of adb on your Desktop? You can either ssh into the machine (if ssh is enabled) or do the changes from another session or VT.
    Because I'm talking about my Nexus 7
    Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Quote Originally Posted by kaprikawn View Post
    How recent was it that they were talking about Mir / Unity 8 being ready for this release? Doesn't seem like it was that long ago?
    They also said quite a while back that it wont be ready until at least 14.10, probably 15.04. It should only be used for testing/development in 14.04 ... definitely not for stable or everyday use yet.