Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD OpenCL Performance With AM1 Kabini APUs

Phoronix: AMD OpenCL Performance With AM1 Kabini APUs

For those curious how AMD's AM1 APUs are running with OpenCL workloads given the company's focus on HSA, here's a wide-range of OpenCL benchmarks from the four Athlon and Sempron AM1 APUs currently on the market while running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would love to see these chips pitted against other AMD APUs in the same price (but not wattage) category, like the A4 and A6 series chips (Trinity and/or Richland). For the instance, the 5350 goes for the same price as the A6-5400K (Trinity) and is only a few euros cheaper than the Richland counterpart (A6-6400K). Both the 5400K and 6400K are 65W dual-core parts, with the Richland part clocking in at 3.9Ghz (4.1Ghz turbo) and both supporting much faster dual channel DDR3 1866 than the 5350's lowly single channel DDR3 1600. I can just imagine how brutally the A-series parts wipe the floor with the Athlon parts.

Even if one factors in motherboard cost differences, you do pay more for FM2/FM2+ but you get an upgrade path and if your'e willing to go used, then you can get them for the same price (since there currently are pretty much no used AM1 boards). I just picked up a used top of the line FM2+ ITX board (with onboard wifi and bluetooth) for 50 euros! And crappier boards are going for less than half that on ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
      I would love to see these chips pitted against other AMD APUs in the same price (but not wattage) category, like the A4 and A6 series chips (Trinity and/or Richland). For the instance, the 5350 goes for the same price as the A6-5400K (Trinity) and is only a few euros cheaper than the Richland counterpart (A6-6400K). Both the 5400K and 6400K are 65W dual-core parts, with the Richland part clocking in at 3.9Ghz (4.1Ghz turbo) and both supporting much faster dual channel DDR3 1866 than the 5350's lowly single channel DDR3 1600. I can just imagine how brutally the A-series parts wipe the floor with the Athlon parts.

Even if one factors in motherboard cost differences, you do pay more for FM2/FM2+ but you get an upgrade path and if your'e willing to go used, then you can get them for the same price (since there currently are pretty much no used AM1 boards). I just picked up a used top of the line FM2+ ITX board (with onboard wifi and bluetooth) for 50 euros! And crappier boards are going for less than half that on ebay.
      I don't have any of the A4 or A6 low-end APUs.... Only former APUs I have are the highest end models.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Some Intel iGPUs are needed there... downloading tests at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post

I'd love to see them against a semi more useful CPU, e.g. Kaveri, specifically an a10-7850k... after all it's AMD's ONLY hope that their chimp(good thing that there's ARM or they'd be phailwhale) cpu architecture shows any remotely usefulness pretty much given ANY configuration...

Comment

Originally posted by cutterjohn View Post
            I'd love to see them against a semi more useful CPU, e.g. Kaveri, specifically an a10-7850k... after all it's AMD's ONLY hope that their chimp(good thing that there's ARM or they'd be phailwhale) cpu architecture shows any remotely usefulness pretty much given ANY configuration...
            See SemiAccurate, they have a 5350 vs a10-7850k comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by cutterjohn View Post
              Not too interesting to me, as the 7850K is not what I consider a budget APU/CPU. The low-end APUs actually offer great value for money, more so than the top-end APUs since once you couple in high performance memory, you can usually get a cheaper and better performing Haswell Pentium + dedicated graphics card (plus slower memory) for roughly the same price.

If you need something for standard tasks (web browsing, Full HD Youtube, videos, LIGHT gaming), the low-end APUs can't be beat. For 40-80 euros you can pick up a pretty capable APU that offers much better value for the light gamer than anything Intel has to offer in that price range.

Comment

Working...
              X