Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Fedora 21 Gets GNOME 3.12, PHP 5.6, Mono 3.4

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,331

    Default Fedora 21 Gets GNOME 3.12, PHP 5.6, Mono 3.4

    Phoronix: Fedora 21 Gets GNOME 3.12, PHP 5.6, Mono 3.4

    Following today's Fedora Engineering and Steering Committee (FESCo) meeting is another round of fresh features for Fedora 21 that will premiere late into the year...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY2NjE

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    71

    Default

    when i hear the word MONO i think of Microsoft, why does Fedora Package patented crap for an then not package MP3 out of the box? please dont give me crap that MP3 is patented, but so is MONO an Fedora still package it. but why?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Barcelona, Spain
    Posts
    293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anvil View Post
    when i hear the word MONO i think of Microsoft, why does Fedora Package patented crap for an then not package MP3 out of the box? please dont give me crap that MP3 is patented, but so is MONO an Fedora still package it. but why?
    mono is free and opensource, mp3 not.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kingston, Jamaica
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anvil View Post
    when i hear the word MONO i think of Microsoft, why does Fedora Package patented crap for an then not package MP3 out of the box? please dont give me crap that MP3 is patented, but so is MONO an Fedora still package it. but why?
    How about pointing to the patents on Mono for the unwashed masses?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    77

    Question Gnome 3.12

    Is this GNOME 3.12 Fedora's release ready to use Wayland?

    Or must wait until 3.14?

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DebianLinuxero View Post
    Is this GNOME 3.12 Fedora's release ready to use Wayland?

    Or must wait until 3.14?
    http://worldofgnome.org/gnome-on-way...tus-on-fedora/

    It is experimental for 3.12

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jayrulez View Post
    How about pointing to the patents on Mono for the unwashed masses?
    didnt you know the company that Made Mono did a Deal with the Devil ? that being Novel so im pretty sure the License of Monoo is not Opensource . Rahul would know more about that than i would, or you could google it yaself

    going back years ago Fedora use to install Mono by Default. . go to Fedora's Wiki an look for " Mono " you should find answer's there
    Last edited by Anvil; 04-17-2014 at 06:41 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anvil View Post
    when i hear the word MONO i think of Microsoft, why does Fedora Package patented crap for an then not package MP3 out of the box? please dont give me crap that MP3 is patented, but so is MONO an Fedora still package it. but why?
    You know ... whenever I hear the word "mono" and "patents" I think of Sun Microsystems fanboys who can't get over the fact that Sun's software competitors were better across the board and so they need to FUD in order to make themselves feel better.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anvil View Post
    didnt you know the company that Made Mono did a Deal with the Devil ? that being Novel so im pretty sure the License of Monoo is not Opensource . Rahul would know more about that than i would, or you could google it yaself

    going back years ago Fedora use to install Mono by Default. . go to Fedora's Wiki an look for " Mono " you should find answer's there
    Mono is under a free and open source license. I am not sure what give you the impression otherwise. Mono was installed by default in the Fedora live image when Tomboy used to be the default note taking application. Fedora switched over to Gnote later (and now uses the GNOME 3 notes application) and there was no need to install Mono by default any longer. That has nothing to do with any patent issues. If you can point to any specific ones of concern, feel free to contact Fedora Legal

    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Main#Contact

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    Mono is under a free and open source license. I am not sure what give you the impression otherwise. Mono was installed by default in the Fedora live image when Tomboy used to be the default note taking application. Fedora switched over to Gnote later (and now uses the GNOME 3 notes application) and there was no need to install Mono by default any longer. That has nothing to do with any patent issues. If you can point to any specific ones of concern, feel free to contact Fedora Legal

    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Main#Contact
    as you said, mono was MIT. but, he probably refers to patents post ECMA (C# v.2). those really were fishy at best same as patents needed to implement .Net past those versions. now with open sourcing roslyn under apache license MS finally made it clear since roslyn covers all patents up to next gen c# and apache license is clear about that fact. all patents are granted

    the only thing that i see MS somehow forgotten would be unclear situation with ADODB (unclear to me). it was never covered with ECMA and now they released Entity Framework under apache but not ADODB (or i missed that). still, as i see it, there should not be any problem. apache covers all patents covered by EF and EF relies on ADODB to work, meaning ADODB should be covered as well. but, do correct me if i'm wrong

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •