Fedora Workstation Is Making Me Quite Excited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
    I think the world does revolve around them. At least you are! There is not even a single mention of Gnome in the article, nor in the comment above you, yet you find yourself compelled to bring Gnome in the conversation.

Back to the subject. I am excited as well. Hopefully this will help them focus more on bugs related to Fedora on the laptop. F20 has few bugs related to this, like needing to restart Gnome Shell whenever an external monitor is plugged/unplugged, or having pulseaudio go crazy from time to time when USB headsets are plugged/unplugged.
    Right, I think there's a lot of users using Gnome silently but also a lot of haters revolving around Gnome. So sad they spend so much time trying to prove the other's are wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
      I wonder what DE is on screenshots. What might it be?
      Dude, those are old screenshots from, I believe, Red Hat 9 and Fedora 5.

Comment

Fedora Workstation Is Making Me Quite Excited
        Hello fellow nerd.

Comment

What they're trying to do sounds very much like what Mageia has already done. Except they will probably have much more resources.

Comment

i'm more or less refraining my self to post on fedora or gnome articles (except few occasions that were too much of a joke to pass on) so, i kinda apologize on this rant of mine, but i simply could not swallow this and avoid writing comment

In fact if an application developer want to write an application for the linux desktop at all we greatly appreciate that effort regardless of what tools they decide to use to do so.
            really? after making so many deviations from how other oses/toolkits work in general and making consistent cross platform coding so much harder (i named those way too many times, so... why bother again. not to mention i would avoid it in case if i didn't read this BS of purest form),...

this is what you say? appreciate? strange way of appreciation, like saying thanks with bullets

Comment

Don't remember much from Poettering's talk from August by I'm not sure using Android as a model for permissions is a good idea. Its all or nothing system is significantly inferior to the independent and non-simultaneous permissions in iOS.

Comment

Originally posted by Kostas View Post
                Don't remember much from Poettering's talk from August by I'm not sure using Android as a model for permissions is a good idea. Its all or nothing system is significantly inferior to the independent and non-simultaneous permissions in iOS.
                Android doesn't have an all or nothing system, it has an all or nothing UI representation. The underlying code handles each permission separately. Otherwise App Ops couldn't exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                  I wonder what DE is on screenshots. What might it be?
                  Those are old Fedora core 3 or 4 (they have the same default wallpaper) and core 5 screenshot, so like 8 to 10 years old, not really relevant to the discussion. And those are running GNOME 2 not 3.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                    No Fedora IS short word for Fedora Gnome, gnome is the default fedora desktop, so calling the workstation fedora gnome makes no sense.
                    Yes, it makes sense because ?Workstation? is not just a new name for Fedora Desktop, at least they say that.
                    As such it would have made sense to analyze the distribution of DE users within Fedora and staff the new work group proportionately from the existing SIGs.

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                    Would you mind providing a reference to the 50% claim?
                    Gosh, it was in some thread three or so months ago and not a too major topic in the overall discussion. I believe some KDE SIG member raised the point but I could be wrong.

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                    Workstation proposal was from many of the same people who are upstream GNOME developers and work on Fedora desktop live image. So it is not at all surprising that the produce would use GNOME.
                    Oh, I'm not surprised. On the contrary I expected nothing less from the gnomes.
                    ?Fedora Gnome? No! Our desktop is the only one that can be used for work!?

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                    I think the world does revolve around them. At least you are! There is not even a single mention of Gnome in the article, nor in the comment above you, yet you find yourself compelled to bring Gnome in the conversation.
                    ?Fedora Workstation? is the Gnome product, no matter if Gnome is mentioned or not.
                    And in case you didn't notice: I LIKE THE GNOME DESKTOP! I just don't like the developers? attitude. That?s what led to the countless Gnome forks because almost everybody is incapable of compromises. We rarely see this: ?We have this idea, you have that idea. How can we bring them together??
                    We often see instead: ?Your idea is wrong and only mine is right. FU! I create a fork!?

Comment

Originally posted by iniudan View Post
                      Those are old Fedora core 3 or 4 (they have the same default wallpaper) and core 5 screenshot, so like 8 to 10 years old, not really relevant to the discussion. And those are running GNOME 2 not 3.
                      Everything old is new again.

Comment

Working...
                      X