Maynard: A Lightweight Wayland Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
    Does anyone knows if there is a good tiling wm (i3-like) on Wayland ?
    I'm really not an expert, but isn't compositing kinda the point of Wayland, as in baked into the very fabric of its being? I thought the whole perfect frame, no tearing/flickering concept was dependent on compositing, and Wayland is a lightweight way of achieving compositing. Whereas tiling is a distinctly xorg concept, with WMs leveraging xorg's overreaching desire to draw it's own windows.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
      I'm really not an expert, but isn't compositing kinda the point of Wayland, as in baked into the very fabric of its being? I thought the whole perfect frame, no tearing/flickering concept was dependent on compositing, and Wayland is a lightweight way of achieving compositing. Whereas tiling is a distinctly xorg concept, with WMs leveraging xorg's overreaching desire to draw it's own windows.
      Tiling WMs have a different way of arranging windows (no overlapping windows), in opposite to stacking WMs, like KWin, Openbox, ... . It has nothing to do with compositing and it is not a Xorg concept.
      I indeed would also like a port of i3 to Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
        Looks like you can have easy WMs when you target swc for wayland.
        http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?px=...page=news_item
        And is there a dmenu-like, too ?

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
          And is there a dmenu-like, too ?
          The swc developer has a dmenu port. I just hope swc gets updated for the xwayland changes though

Comment

Save big money at Menards!

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
              Maynard, as in Maynard James Keenan? Well, for Yet Another Wayland Desktop Shell? news piece, you got my attention...
              If nothing else, I salute you for your choice of a name.
              Well done Sir.
              sorry to disappoint, but continuing the wayland/weston theme, it's another small town around the US-20 west of boston.

Comment

there was the orbital shell, wasnt there? was it not lightweight enough?

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
                  there was the orbital shell, wasnt there? was it not lightweight enough?
                  we felt that qt + qml might struggle for resources, yes.

Comment

Working...
                  X