New SMP build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#25:
    hmm you are right, it appears the shops here just lowered prices for 9850 a few weeks ago - to the same price as q9300 here.
    but q9300 seems to for many things to be almost as fast as q9450:

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
      2.66 GHz. And the FSB is 266, instead of 200.

Umm, no, first of all, there is no FSB on AMD Procs (hasn't been for a long time). The ONLY differences between the 9850 and the 9950 is the multiplier which is 13 instead of 12.5 and is a 140 Watt part.

Last edited by deanjo; 19 May 2008, 01:42 PM.

Comment

AMD has no FSB? I think you have to live in a parallel universe when this would be true

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          AMD has no FSB? I think you have to live in a parallel universe when this would be true
          They don't they use HyperTransport which is a replacement for FSB.

Comment

Call it like you want, you always have got an external clock and the internal clock is external * multiplicator. Usually you call the external clock FSB.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              Call it like you want, you always have got an external clock and the internal clock is external * multiplicator. Usually you call the external clock FSB.
              Base clock has nothing to do with FSB. FSB is the link. not the clock. Hypertransport replaces the FSB therefore you cannot have a FSB speed on a system that does not have a front side bus.

Comment

HyperTransport != Front Side Bus. The CPU multiplier on AMD processors refers to the HT "base clock" (whatever that means) which is set at 200MHz for all models (not 266). Thus raising the CPU multiplier doesn't involve raising that base clock value, and the HT frequency remains at 2GHz for both the 9850 and the 9950 (1.8GHz for all other Phenom CPUs except the "power efficient" 9100e, set at 1.6GHz). The only thing that changes is the CPU's frequency (which would be 200 x 13 = 2.6GHz exactly, not 2.66).
                Last edited by apaige; 19 May 2008, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Phenom 9850 vs Q6600 @ stock speeds.

Thanks kabage.

Comment

deanjo, i do not understand, theres no results on that benchmark?

Comment

Originally posted by Redeeman View Post
                      deanjo, i do not understand, theres no results on that benchmark?
                      Huh? It shows the complete universe set of benchmarks. The link is good.

Comment

Working...
                      X