Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying Out Radeon R9 290 Graphics On Open-Source

Phoronix: Trying Out Radeon R9 290 Graphics On Open-Source

One of the more commonly occurring test requests at Phoronix lately has been about testing the open-source RadeonSI Gallium3D driver with the Radeon R9 290 "Hawaii" graphics cards. Sadly, there's a reason why the R9 290 hardware isn't tested on the open driver much under Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks for the test!

Comment

Thanks. Now test the R7 260x. You will see that it does barely work on kernel 3.14.

Comment

which llvm version was tested?

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
          Thanks. Now test the R7 260x. You will see that it does barely work on kernel 3.14.
          Those have bug in older i think firmware so that seems fixed with new firmware lately, so new firmwares are must have . Not sure of course, but i guess maybe this R9 290 also suffer from bug in firmware .

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            Those have bug in older i think firmware so that seems fixed with new firmware lately, so new firmwares are must have . Not sure of course, but i guess maybe this R9 290 also suffer from bug in firmware .
            Yeah https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=75992
            I'm a bit frustrated that Phoronix ran so many benchmarks, but didn't find this severe regression... and on the other hand stating that 3.14 will be a huuuge improvement^^
            Maybe it should be tested before writing such statements
            Last edited by Nuc!eoN; 16 April 2014, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Seem so me that that HyperZ does not have bugs , because i don't have any bug with hyperz enabled on Kabini which use system memory. And with new firmwares with proper initiliased GDDR5 memory people say there bugs goes away from hyperz . Maybe they will now considered enabling it by defaut again .

Comment

Benchmarks on the FOSS driver show plateauing performance around the 7870 / 270x anyway - the 7950 / 280+ cards all barely get more than a few percentage points over Pitcarin and Curacao, even with upwards of 50% more stream processors. I figure theres some performance bottlenecks utilizing a full Tahiti chip somewhere, but since the higher end parts are boutique I don't see there being much demand for getting them in good shape. So it doesn't surprise me the 290/x aren't working at all, and even if they did they would probably only have the performance of a $200 card.

If the 260x worked, it would probably be the optimal price / performance spot for radeonSI (I'm expecting the next generation of Mesa releases and kernel to get that pretty stable, though). Otherwise, the 265 is looking good at the optimal modern radeonSI card. Not disappointed with my 7870 though, it plays most games well enough. I'd rather see full openGL / openCL support before high end boutique hardware gets performance tuned.
                Last edited by zanny; 16 April 2014, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X