Thread: AMD Athlon's R3 Graphics: RadeonSI Gallium3D vs. Catalyst

Hybrid View

Default AMD Athlon's R3 Graphics: RadeonSI Gallium3D vs. Catalyst

Phoronix: AMD Athlon's R3 Graphics: RadeonSI Gallium3D vs. Catalyst

For the past week now we have been extensively benchmarking AMD's new AM1 APUs with all the current models available to the public: the Sempron 2650 / 3850 and Athlon 5150 / 5350. All of our testing up to this point has been using an updated Linux kernel and Mesa for the open-source Linux graphics driver experience with these APU Radeon R3 Graphics. Today, we're looking at the performance of the open-source RadeonSI Gallium3D driver in multiple configurations compared to the proprietary Catalyst Linux driver.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=20178

Can we have a frame latency test or two? 2D benchmarks? That's what really matters when comparing Catalyst to RadeonSI/CI drivers since my Kabini APU laptop, which is essentially the same SoC as these APUs, has very sluggish desktop performance with Catalyst + Ubuntu 14.04, but with the open source drivers + kernel 3.14, the desktop and videos are smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by mmstick View Post
    Can we have a frame latency test or two? 2D benchmarks? That's what really matters when comparing Catalyst to RadeonSI/CI drivers since my Kabini APU laptop, which is essentially the same SoC as these APUs, has very sluggish desktop performance with Catalyst + Ubuntu 14.04, but with the open source drivers + kernel 3.14, the desktop and videos are smooth.
    Frame latency graphs are on a few of the results... 2D benchmarks will likely come in their own separate article.

Summary.
    Open drivers when running latest kernel mesa is 2-3 times faster than Ubuntu 14.04 stock.
    The latest open driver stack performed within 20% to 80% of Catalyst on 3D benchmarks.
    There were performance gains both from a newer kernel and from using the latest mesa.
    Micheal is planning to run some 2d tests on the same hardware.

Opinion:
    As always, I'm impressed by the rate that the open drivers progress at, but it is obvious that for 3D tasks, this hardware's driver needs some more work.

Do you have a clue why you had a DRI3 XCB error?

DRI3 support isn't enabled for these cards both in Mesa and in the radeon DDX, so that's strange.

I've made myself some benchmarks with my radeonsi card (hd7730m), and for unigine heave 4.0,
    I got last year a score of 234 (9.3 fps) with Catalyst.
    Now with recent Mesa and kernel 3.13, I get a score of 200, which is very close.

Nice results, can't wait to see dGPU results in special with GTX750(Ti) with NVIDIA blob