Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 14.10 Convergence To Focus On Replacing Core Apps

Phoronix: Ubuntu 14.10 Convergence To Focus On Replacing Core Apps

With Ubuntu 14.04 LTS due to be shipped this week, Canonical developers are already well at work on formulating their plans for the Ubuntu 14.10 release due out in October. Given Ubuntu's tablet/phone focus and convergence strategy, that will be the big aim of this post-LTS release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very exited for this

Comment

Why not adapt GTK and QT to let apps work on other platforms?

Good luck rewriting it all though!

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
        Why not adapt GTK and QT to let apps work on other platforms?

Good luck rewriting it all though!
        The new Ubuntu Apps use Qt/QML, but with some additions and dependencies.

Still not convinced there will be 14.10 desktop release. Anyways, now is the time to stick to 14.04 LTS for a while, as the Ubuntu desktop will completely replace pretty much everything within the next 12 months. It's going to be rough

Comment

Sounds like they're reinventing the wheel, though I would like to be proved wrong.

Good luck to everyone involved, sounds like you're going to need it! I'm sure glad I purged Ubuntu from my life just after they announced Mir.

Comment

This is a new wheel that can roll on desktops, tablets and phones, with the appropriate UX in each environment. There is nothing like this is in the free software world yet, so indeed Ubuntu has to invent it.

This is a necessary development on the path to convergence. And because these apps are based on commonly used frameworks and libraries, it would be very easy for other free software projects to make use of these apps. Want to make your own convergence DE based on Wayland or whatever? Ubuntu is doing a lot of the basic work for you.

As Ubuntu and other converging OSes becomes more common on non-desktop platforms, I hope that application developers will join the effort and make sure their applications work well in these varying environments.

Exciting times, for sure. Thank you, Ubuntu!

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
              The new Ubuntu Apps use Qt/QML, but with some additions and dependencies.

Still not convinced there will be 14.10 desktop release. Anyways, now is the time to stick to 14.04 LTS for a while, as the Ubuntu desktop will completely replace pretty much everything within the next 12 months. It's going to be rough
              As long as it doesn't affect Kubuntu I don't really care. I prefer that after my major updates I find nothing really changed. Or, minimally looks and feels the same.

Comment

Lol, I remember when friends used to discuss about canonical always trying to destroy kubuntu... and now they are using Qt. Oh, the irony!
                Also, let's remember that Mir will be introduced in 14.10... we will see how well that goes

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
                  This is a new wheel that can roll on desktops, tablets and phones, with the appropriate UX in each environment. There is nothing like this is in the free software world yet,
                  Seems like you're talking about Tizen...

Comment

I am not actually clear of this. Does 14.10 will have mir + unity 8 enabled? Or it is replacing just the core Qt apps in Unity 7?

Comment

Working...
                    X