Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It Doesn't Look Like AMD Mantle Is Coming To Linux, SteamOS

Default It Doesn't Look Like AMD Mantle Is Coming To Linux, SteamOS

Phoronix: It Doesn't Look Like AMD Mantle Is Coming To Linux, SteamOS

A few days ago when word got out that Civilization: Beyond Earth is coming out for Linux, many speculated and wondered whether this game would be the launch title for AMD's Mantle graphics API to be introduced on Linux. It's already been confirmed that Beyond Earth will feature a Mantle renderer to complement OpenGL, but will AMD's Catalyst Linux driver bring support for Mantle?..

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY2NDA

Why lucky.

OpenGL 3.3 is sound. All games work. And most should have less troubles on r600g by now (radeonSI depends on LLVM present in system)

I'm happy with that.Mantle is probably still too new for "productive" gaming. Paying customers dont want a testbed. They expect well-performing, stable drivers for SteamOS, so also expect AMD to focus on that currentlyt. After the first round of steam machines we'll see.

Fact that guy working for Aspyr Media commented on is worst news ever. This might mean that even if there will be Linux version it's can be bugged like crap and incompatible with Windows version.

Default Not a big deal

I'm not an AMD customer, but knowing they are already short on ressource to support properly their hardware on Linux, I would prefer them to stay focus on proper OpenGL support rather than diluting theirs efforts in supporting Mantle, whose expected gains will be near to zero regarding the continuous OpenGL improvments.

Right decision, Mantle has fringe benefits, mainly in the low end. I'd much rather they focus on the open source driver.

OpenGL 3.3 + 4.* extensions available on 3.* hardware(e.g, SSBO, ARB_buffer_storage) is extremely good anyways.

Like others, I'm not worried at all with Mantle on Linux and rather prefer that AMD solve their problems with Catalyst like the stuttering in (some) Source Engine games....and Catalist A.I. option should be by default disabled (when enabled it makes graphical glitches in several games) so users will have a better experience out-of-the-box.

Quote Originally Posted by _SXX_ View Post
    Fact that guy working for Aspyr Media commented on is worst news ever. This might mean that even if there will be Linux version it's can be bugged like crap and incompatible with Windows version.
    Or it can be wrapped in wine

Sorry but this is nothing to do with wider Mantle support on Linux

To me this seems like Phoronix has blown it out of proportion. This is NOT about Mantle itself being on Linux, this is about the new Civ being able to use Mantle on Linux, which it can't since Mantle hasn't been ported yet.